Galveston Laboratory

A laboratory of the Southeast Fisheries Science Center.

Our Location

The laboratory is situated on the site of the historic Fort Crockett, one block from the Gulf of Mexico on Galveston Island, Texas.

 

Our Leadership


Our History

In 1929, a U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service Fisheries field station was established in Galveston on Offatts Bayou, directed by A.E. Hopkins, Ph.D. Its original mission was oyster research. In 1931, the Laboratory became one of four FWS field stations to do shrimp research in the Gulf of Mexico directed out of New Orleans by F.W. Weymouth. Our present facility was established in 1950, at the old U.S. Army Fort Crockett in Galveston, as a Bureau of Commercial Fisheries Laboratory. Historical designation. Renovated 2008. Over 70,000 square feet of offices and laboratories in 10 buildings with a 130,000- gallon seawater system. Research space is shared with National Ocean Service‘s Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary, Physical Oceanographic Real Time System and the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network.