Section 7 Consultation Technical Guidance
Guidance for action agencies preparing for Section 7 consultations.
Generalized ESA Section 7 Consultation Process
- Guidance on making a "No Effect" Determination (PDF, 3 pages)
- Information on Expedited Informal Consultations
Technical Consultation Guidance for Action Agencies
- The action area (see graphic) is defined in ESA regulations (50 CFR § 402.02) as the area within which all direct and indirect effects of the project will occur. The action area is distinct from and larger than the project footprint because some elements of the project may affect listed species some distance from the project footprint. The action area, therefore, extends out to a point where no measurable effects from the project are expected to occur.
- Alaska Endangered Species and Critical Habitat Mapper Web Application: Spacial data and maps of critical habitat and ESA threatened and endangered marine mammals under NOAA Fisheries jurisdiction in Alaska.
- ESA Species List: NOAA Fisheries managed ESA species in Alaska
- Guidance on Conducting Sound Propagation Modeling to Characterize Pile Driving Sounds Relevant to Marine Mammals
Writing Resources for Action Agencies
We encourage action agencies to utilize these writing resources while preparing their letter of concurrence requests.
- Request for Informal Consultation Letter Template (MS Word, 1 page)
- Sample Incoming Request Letter (PDF, 1 page)
- Sample Outgoing Letter of Concurrence (PDF, 1 page)
Please send requests to initiate ESA Section 7 consultation and any questions regarding the consultation process to: AKR.PRD.Section7@noaa.gov. If you have any questions regarding the ESA Section 7 consultation process, please contact the NOAA Fisheries, Alaska Region interim Section 7 Coordinator, Greg Balogh.