Section 7 Consultations in Alaska
Guidance and information about Endangered Species Act (ESA) Section 7 consultations in Alaska
Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) outlines the procedures for Federal interagency cooperation to conserve Federally listed species and designated critical habitat.
Section 7(a)(1) directs the Secretary of Commerce/Secretary of the Interior to review other programs administered by them and utilize such programs to further the purposes of the ESA. It also directs all other Federal agencies to utilize their authorities in furtherance of the purposes of the ESA by carrying out programs for the conservation of species listed pursuant to the ESA.
Under section 7(a)(2) of the ESA, Federal agencies must consult with NOAA Fisheries on activities that may affect a listed species. These interagency, or section 7, consultations are designed to assist Federal agencies in fulfilling their duty to ensure any action they authorize, fund, or carry out is not likely to jeopardize the continued existence of a listed species or result in the destruction or adverse modification of designated critical habitat. In fulfilling these requirements, each agency must use the best scientific and commercial data available.
Alaska Section 7 Consultations - Interagency Cooperation
- Expedited Informal Consultation
- Biological Opinions
- Code of Federal Regulations: Title 50 - Wildlife and Fisheries, Part 402 - Interagency Cooperation
- When does an Action Require Consultation with NMFS under Section 7 of the ESA? (PDF, 2 pages)
- Suggested format for Biological Assessments (PDF, 4 pages)
- ESA Section 7 Consultation Handbook (PDF, 315 pages)
- Guidance for Developing a Marine Mammal Monitoring Plan
- Additional policies, guidance, and regulations
Critical Habitat Regulations
- Alaska Endangered Species and Critical Habitat Mapper Web Application: Spatial data and maps of critical habitat and ESA threatened and endangered marine mammals under NOAA Fisheries jurisdiction in Alaska.
- ESA Species in Alaska: (NOAA Fisheries managed species) Endangered, Threatened and Candidate Species
- ESA Species Directory (searchable)
- ESA Species in the U.S. (under NOAA Fisheries' jurisdiction)
- Occurrence of Western Distinct Population Segment Steller Sea Lions East of 144° W. Longitude (PDF, 8 pages)
- Occurrence of Listed Humpback Whales in Alaska (PDF, 4 pages)
ESA Listing Action and Petitions
- ESA Petition and Listing Process
- Petitions awaiting 90-day findings
- Negative 90-Day Findings
- Candidate Species
- Proposed Species
- Endangered Species Conservation
Please send requests to initiate ESA Section 7 consultation and any questions regarding the consultation process to: AKR.PRD.Section7@noaa.gov. If you have any questions regarding the ESA Section 7 consultation process, please contact the NOAA Fisheries, Alaska Region interim Section 7 Coordinator, Greg Balogh.