- The daily vessel trip limit will decrease from 75 to 50 fish at 12:01 a.m., local time, on September 1, 2019, for commercial vessels fishing for Atlantic migratory group king mackerel in federal waters off Florida between the Flagler/Volusia and Miami-Dade/Monroe County boundaries.
WHY THIS TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION IS HAPPENING:
- When commercial landings of Atlantic migratory group king mackerel reach or are projected to reach 75 percent of the quota, regulations are in place to reduce the daily trip limit.
- The trip limit reduction is necessary to slow the rate of commercial harvest to avoid exceeding the quota.
AFTER THE TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION:
- The 50-fish daily vessel trip limit will remain in effect through February 29, 2020, unless the Southern zone’s quota is reached and harvest of king mackerel is closed earlier.
- An action to increase the trip limit in federal waters off Volusia County (between Flagler/Volusia County, Florida, boundary and the Volusia/Brevard County, Florida, boundary) from April 1 through September 30 from 75 fish to 3,500 lbs, is undergoing rulemaking.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=4a1c3805e95097423c9a607a31c4c9f8&rgn=div5&view=text&node=50:220.127.116.11.2&idno=50#sp50.12.622.q.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750