The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) has revised Table 2 of 50 CFR Part 679 which becomes effective January 18, 2006, according to Robert D. Mecum, Acting Administrator, Alaska Region, NMFS. Table 2 lists species codes. Participants are required to use these codes after the effective date.
Table 2 is reformatted into 4 subtables. Table 2a is entitled, a. "Species Codes: FMP Groundfish Species," and contains the groundfish species that are managed under a Fishery Management Plan (FMP groundfish).
Species codes in Table 2a must be recorded and reported in NMFS logbooks and forms.
- Species code 702, is added to Table 2a to describe Big Skate. See: Identification of Big Skates and Longnose Skates
- Species code 700 in Table 2a is revised to say "Skate, other (if longnose or big skate, use specific species code)."
- Species code 689 in Table 2a is revised to say "Sharks, other (if salmon, spiny dogfish or Pacific sleeper shark, use specific species code)."
- Species code 120 "miscellaneous flatfish" is added to Table 2a.
- The Latin names for all individual rockfish species are added to Table 2a.
- Table 2b is entitled, "b. Species Codes: FMP Prohibited Species," and contains the prohibited species that are identified as prohibited under a Fishery Management Plan. Species codes in Table 2b must be recorded and reported in NMFS logbooks and forms.
- Species code 932 in Table 2b is revised to say "Opilio (snow) tanner crab."
- Species code 923 in Table 2b is revised to say "Golden king (brown) crab."
- Table 2c is entitled, "c. Species Codes: FMP Forage fish," and contains forage fish species that are managed under a Fishery Management Plan. Species codes in Table 2c must be recorded and reported in NMFS logbooks and forms.
Table 2d is entitled, "d. Species Codes: Non-FMP Species Codes," and contains species codes agreed upon by Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) and NMFS Alaska Region for use on ADF&G fish tickets as well as NMFS logbooks and forms. The non-FMP species codes include species that are frequently caught in association with FMP species. These species codes may be recorded in NMFS logbooks and forms but are not required by regulations at 50 CFR part 679.
- Species code 112, is added to Table 2d for the species, Pacific hake.
- Species code 961 in Table 2d is revised to say "Northern (pink) shrimp."
- Group species codes are removed and should not be recorded and reported on NMFS logbooks and forms: 144, slope rockfish; 168, demersal shelf rockfish; 169, pelagic shelf rockfish; and 171, shortraker/rougheye rockfish. See: Guide to Rockfishes of the Northeast Pacific Ocean (Large 2.7 MB file).
This information bulletin only provides notice of a regulatory change. For the purposes of complying with the regulatory change, you are advised to see the actual text in the Code of Federal Regulations.