NOAA Fisheries will hold a virtual public hearing and reopen the public comment period related to the proposed rule to list the queen conch as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). Since the hearing will be held online, the public can join by internet or phone regardless of location.
- The public hearing on the proposed rule will be held online on November 21, 2022, from 5:30pm to 8:00pm (Eastern Standard Time).
- The public comment period will open on November 10, 2022, and close on December 15, 2022.
- You can join the virtual public hearing online or by phone (for audio only), as specified on this website: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/queen-conch#protected.
On September 8, 2022, NOAA Fisheries published a proposed rule to list the queen conch as a threatened species under the ESA (87 FR 55200). In that document, we also announced a 60-day public comment period and indicated that requests for public hearings must be submitted by October 24, 2022. On October 20, 2022, NMFS received a request to hold a public hearing on the proposed rule. We will also reopen the public comment period on November 10, 2022, to provide the public with additional time to provide comments. The public comment period will now close on December 15, 2022.
The public hearing on the proposed rule will be held online on November 21, 2022, from 5:30pm to 8:00pm (Eastern Standard Time). Alternative languages for persons with limited English proficiency can be made available if requested by November 11, 2022. Contact Orian Tzadik at email@example.com to request interpretation services.
The hearing will begin with a brief presentation by NOAA Fisheries staff who will give an overview of the proposed listing under the ESA. After the presentation, but before public comments, there will be a question and answer session during which members of the public may ask questions about the proposed rule. Following the question and answer session, members of the public will have the opportunity to provide oral comments on the record regarding the proposed rule. In the event there is a large audience, the time allotted per individual for oral comments may be limited. Therefore, anyone wishing to make an oral statement at the public hearing for the record is encouraged to prepare a written copy of their comments. Written comments may also be submitted at any time during the relevant public comment period as described below.
You may join the virtual public hearing using a web browser, a mobile app on a phone (app installation required), or by phone (for audio only), as specified on this website: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/queen-conch#protected.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, FL now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750