Dear Federal Permit Holders, Partners, and Stakeholders,
This is a reminder that the current waiver for observer coverage in the fisheries listed below expires at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, May 4, 2020. Beginning at 12:00 a.m. on May 5th, observer coverage will again be required per existing regulations.
- South Atlantic Penaeid Shrimp
- South Atlantic Rock Shrimp
- South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper
- Southeast Gillnet
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Reef Fish
- Gulf of Mexico Shrimp
- Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Pelagic Longline
- Shark Bottom Longline (Atlantic HMS)
- Shark Gillnet (Atlantic HMS)
As part of the NOAA Fisheries’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and consistent with the authority provided under an emergency rule signed on March 24, 2020 (www.fisheries.noaa.gov/action/noaa-fisheries-issues-emergency-action-waive-observer-coverage-case-case-basis), the agency temporarily waived the requirement for commercial fishing vessels in the fisheries above to carry a fishery observer. The waiver is in effect from April 21, 2020, through May 4, 2020.
NOAA Fisheries will continue to monitor and evaluate this situation. As we have done in other parts of the country, we will use this time to work with the observer service provider to implement adjustments to the logistics of deploying observers, ensuring qualified observers are available as soon as safely possible.
Observers are an essential component of commercial fishing operations and provide critical information that is necessary to keep fisheries open and to provide sustainable seafood to our nation during this time. We will continue to monitor all local public health notifications, as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for updates. We are committed to protecting the public health and ensuring the safety of fishermen, observers, and others, while fulfilling our mission to maintain our nation's seafood supply and conserving marine life.
For questions about observer programs, contact the Southeast Fisheries Science Center at (305) 361-4200 or the phone numbers included in your selection notification. For other questions related to Atlantic HMS fisheries, contact (301) 427-8503.
Clay E. Porch, Ph.D.
Director, Southeast Fisheries Science Center
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750