Vessel and Dealer Permitting in the Greater Atlantic Region
All commercial and for-hire vessels fishing for federally managed species 3 miles to 200 miles offshore must obtain required permits prior to fishing.
How to Apply
The easiest way to apply for most of our permits is by using the electronic forms found in your Fish Online account. Once you log in to Fish Online, look for "Application Forms" in the left margin.
These application forms are available at Fish Online:
- Initial Vessel Permit
- Vessel Operator Permit
- Letter of Authorization
- Gillnet tag and annual certification forms
- Initial Dealer Permit
You may also request to have an application form mailed to you by emailing us at NMFS.GAR.Permits@noaa.gov or calling (978) 282-8438.
All permits are free and will be issued within 30 days of receipt of your complete application.
You can also apply for these research permits online:
- Letter of Acknowledgement (LOA)
- Temporary Possession Letter of Authorization
- Exempted Fishing Permit (EFP)
- Exempted Educational Activity Authorization (EEAA)
- Scallop Research Set-Aside Letter of Authorization (RSA LOA)
- Scientific Research Permit (SRP)
If you have questions about a research permit, contact Ryan Silva, Sustainable Fisheries Division, at (978) 281-9326 or Ryan.Silva@noaa.gov.
Vessel Permit Search
Fishing Permits by Species
If you have questions, contact us at (978) 282-8438 or NMFS.GAR.Permits@noaa.gov.