2020 and 2019-2020 Preliminary South Atlantic Recreational Landings
The Southeast Fisheries Science Center has provided the following preliminary landings estimates for species in the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council’s area of jurisdiction subject to annual catch limits (ACLs).
This page was updated on: 8/3/2020
- SEASONAL CLOSURES: South Atlantic Seasons and Closures
- TRIP LIMITS AND BAG LIMITS: South Atlantic Fishery Management Council
- FOR THE MOST CURRENT FEDERAL REGULATIONS: Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) part 622 - Fisheries of the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and South Atlantic
- FOR FISHING YEARS PRIOR TO 2020 or 2019-2020
- FOR ALL LANDINGS: Southeast Region Annual Catch Limit Monitoring
Preliminary Landings* for Fishing Year: January 1 - December 31, 2020
*by Two-month Wave
- MRFSS and MRIP recreational landings available from January 1 through February 29, 2020. Headboat recreational landings are available from January 1 through April 30, 2020.
- The survey to estimate recreational landings has changed over the years. Details of the changes can be found at: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/recreational-fishing-data
- The different recreational surveys are listed in the tables as MRFSS, CHTS, and FES. MRFSS is the Marine Recreational Fishery Statistics Survey.
- CHTS is the Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP) Coastal Household Telephone Survey, and FES is the MRIP Fishing Effort Survey.
|Species Complex||Jan-Feb||Mar-Apr||May-Jun||Jul-Aug||Sep-Oct||Nov-Dec||Total Reported||Annual Catch Limit||Dataset||Units||Percent of ACL||Current Status|
|Cobia NY to GA||0||0||0||620,000||CHTS||as reported||0%||CLOSED|
|Red Groupera||1,053||883||1,936||84,000||CHTS||ww||2%||NC & SC: CLOSED; FL & GA: OPEN|
|Shallow water groupera,f||270||0||270||48,648||CHTS||ww||1%||CLOSED|
ww: pounds whole weight; gw: pounds gutted weight; numbers: number of fish
Recreational Dataset: All landings are MRIP, except the following species are MRFSS: Black grouper, Red snapper, Goliath grouper, Nassau grouper, Speckled hind, and Warsaw grouper. The datasets used to monitor the recreational ACLs for some stocks were changed from MRFSS to the MRIP. The dataset to monitor the other stocks will be changed to MRIP in future amendments. Landings include MRIP or MRIP converted to MRFSS and headboat landings.
(a) There is a seasonal regulation in place; For a list of seasonal closures and harvest limitations, please visit South Atlantic Seasonal Closures and Harvest Limitations
(b) Deepwater Complex: yellowedge grouper, silk snapper, misty grouper, queen snapper, sand tilefish, blackfin snapper
(c) Grunts: White grunt, margate, sailor's choice, tomtate
(d) Jacks: Almaco jack, banded rudderfish, lesser amberjack
(e) Porgies: Jolthead, knobbed, saucereye, whitebone, scup
(f) Shallow Water Grouper: Red hind, rock hind, coney, graysby, yellowfin grouper, yellowmouth grouper
(g) Snappers: Gray, lane, cubera
(h) The red grouper recreational ACL was exceeded but the majority of these landings came north of Key West (Gulf of Mexico region). These Key West red grouper landings were not applied to the South Atlantic ACL and there is no closure at this time.
Preliminary Landings* for 2019-2020 Fishing Year: Season Varies (See Table)
*by Two-month Wave
|Species Complex||Season||Mar-Apr||May-Jun||Jul-Aug||Sep-Oct||Nov-Dec||Jan-Feb||Total Reported||Annual Catch Limit||Dataset||Percent of ACL||Current Status|
|Greater Amberjack||Mar 1 - Feb 29**||307,235||307,924||191,052||2,630||35,954||20,303||865,098||1,167,837||MRFSS||74%||CLOSED|
|King Mackerel||Mar 1 - Feb 29**||240,212||886,938||1,218,324||141,701||79,773||67,687||2,634,635||8,000,000||CHTS||33%||CLOSED|
|Spanish Mackerel||Mar 1 - Feb 29**||154,374||510,348||433,786||133,833||12,479||387,659||1,632,479||2,727,000||CHTS||60%||CLOSED|
|Species Complex||Season||August||Sep-Oct||Nov-Dec||Jan-Feb||Mar-Apr||May-Jun||Jul||Total Reported||Annual Catch Limit||Dataset||Percent of ACL||Current Status|
|Yellowtail Snapper||Aug 1-Jul 31**||29,627||17,371||63,177||113,188||6,673||230,036||1,440,990||MRFSS||16%||CLOSED|
|Species Complex||Season||Apr||May-Jun||Jul-Aug||Sep-Oct||Nov-Dec||Jan-Feb||Mar||Total Reported||Annual Catch Limit||Dataset||Percent of ACL||Current Status|
|Black Sea Bass||Apr 1 - Mar 31**||19,421||59,828||60,784||9,559||9,933||7,318||1,271||168,115||433,200||CHTS||39%||CLOSED|
*All Units are in pounds whole weight (ww). All landings include both MRFSS/MRIP and Headboat landings.
**Fishing seasons were modified in Regulatory Amendment 14 for black sea bass and greater amberjack. The fishing season for Yellowtail snapper was modified in Regulatory Amendment 25, which took effect on August 12, 2016.
Source: Southeast Fisheries Science Center, Quota Monitoring Program, Miami, Florida.
For additional information contact Mary Vara at 727-824-5305.
Return to the Southeast Region Annual Catch Limit Monitoring page