Data Management Plan
DMP Template v2.0.1 (2015-01-01)Please provide the following information, and submit to the NOAA DM Plan Repository.
Reference to Master DM Plan (if applicable)
As stated in Section IV, Requirement 1.3, DM Plans may be hierarchical. If this DM Plan inherits provisions from a higher-level DM Plan already submitted to the Repository, then this more-specific Plan only needs to provide information that differs from what was provided in the Master DM Plan.
1. General Description of Data to be Managed
Oc0_MASS is a polygon shapefile representing 5 minute x 5 minute latitude x longitude cells that house the overall total biomass densities (kg/sq km) of 76 species of marine birds in the Oceanic season (August 15 - November14, 1980-2001). Density for each of 76 marine bird species was multiplied by average body mass for that species, and these products summed for all species in a cell, to obtain total biomass density. Cells that were surveyed but in which no birds were observed have total biomass densities of zero.
Notes: Only a maximum of 4000 characters will be included.
Notes: Data collection is considered ongoing if a time frame of type "Continuous" exists.
Notes: All time frames from all extent groups are included.
Notes: All geographic areas from all extent groups are included.
(e.g., digital numeric data, imagery, photographs, video, audio, database, tabular data, etc.)
(e.g., satellite, airplane, unmanned aerial system, radar, weather station, moored buoy, research vessel, autonomous underwater vehicle, animal tagging, manual surveys, enforcement activities, numerical model, etc.)
2. Point of Contact for this Data Management Plan (author or maintainer)
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. This field is required if applicable.
3. Responsible Party for Data Management
Program Managers, or their designee, shall be responsible for assuring the proper management of the data produced by their Program. Please indicate the responsible party below.
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Data Steward" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Programs must identify resources within their own budget for managing the data they produce.
5. Data Lineage and Quality
NOAA has issued Information Quality Guidelines for ensuring and maximizing the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of information which it disseminates.
(describe or provide URL of description):
- 2003-10-16 00:00:00 - Up0_MASS is a polygon shapefile representing 5 minute x 5 minute latitude x longitude cells that contain the overall, combined biomass densities (kg birds/) of species of marine birds in the CDAS central CA data set during the Upwelling Season (Mar15-Aug14,1980-2001). The number of marine birds seen in a cell was divided by the area sampled in the cell to estimate density. If a cell was censused more than once, densities were averaged. Cells that were surveyed but in which no birds were observed have densities of zero. AL0_DENS shapefile was created as part of a study to assess marine bird use of coastal California waters within and adjacent to the Monterey Bay, Gulf of the Farallones, and Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuaries. This file was produced for graphic/map display of combined densities for marine bird species occurring within the study area. AL0_DENS shapefile was created as part of a biogeographic assessment of marine resources off northern and central California, for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Ocean Service. For additional information, see http://ccma.nos.noaa.gov/ecosystems/sanctuaries/ca_nms2.aspx. For additional aerial survey data information used in this project, see CD-ROM, Marine Mammal and Seabird Computer Database Analysis System, Washington, Oregon, and California (1975-1997). For additional ship-based survey data information used in this project, contact the following contributing researchers: SF-DODS Cruises (1996-2000) EPOCS Cruises (1984-1994) David G. Ainley, Ph.D. H.T. Harvey and Associates 3150 Almaden Expressway, Suite 145 San Jose, California 95118 firstname.lastname@example.org Midwater Trawls for Juvenile Rockfish(1985-2001) David G. Ainley, Ph.D. (see above) and Carol Keiper, Ph.D. Oikonos P.O. Box 979 Bolinas, Calfornia 94924 email@example.com ORCAWALE Cruise (2001) Lisa T. Ballance, Ph.D. Ecosystem Studies Program Southwest Fisheries Science Center National Marine Fisheries Service 8604 La Jolla Shores Drive La Jolla, California 92037 firstname.lastname@example.org (Citation: The CDAS Central CA Data Set (1980-2001).)
(describe or provide URL of description):
6. Data Documentation
The EDMC Data Documentation Procedural Directive requires that NOAA data be well documented, specifies the use of ISO 19115 and related standards for documentation of new data, and provides links to resources and tools for metadata creation and validation.
- 1.7. Data collection method(s)
- 4.1. Have resources for management of these data been identified?
- 4.2. Approximate percentage of the budget for these data devoted to data management
- 5.2. Quality control procedures employed
- 7.1. Do these data comply with the Data Access directive?
- 7.1.1. If data are not available or has limitations, has a Waiver been filed?
- 7.1.2. If there are limitations to data access, describe how data are protected
- 7.2. Name of organization of facility providing data access
- 7.2.1. If data hosting service is needed, please indicate
- 7.3. Data access methods or services offered
- 7.4. Approximate delay between data collection and dissemination
- 8.1. Actual or planned long-term data archive location
- 8.3. Approximate delay between data collection and submission to an archive facility
- 8.4. How will the data be protected from accidental or malicious modification or deletion prior to receipt by the archive?
(describe or provide URL of description):
7. Data Access
NAO 212-15 states that access to environmental data may only be restricted when distribution is explicitly limited by law, regulation, policy (such as those applicable to personally identifiable information or protected critical infrastructure information or proprietary trade information) or by security requirements. The EDMC Data Access Procedural Directive contains specific guidance, recommends the use of open-standard, interoperable, non-proprietary web services, provides information about resources and tools to enable data access, and includes a Waiver to be submitted to justify any approach other than full, unrestricted public access.
This data set is in the public domain, and the recipient may not assert any proprietary rights thereto nor represent it to anyone as other than a data set compiled by R. G. Ford Consulting Company for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Ocean Service.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Distributor" is used. The support role must be in effect. This information is not required if an approved access waiver exists for this data.
Notes: This field is required if a Distributor has not been specified.
Notes: All URLs listed in the Distribution Info section will be included. This field is required if applicable.
Notes: This field is required if applicable.
8. Data Preservation and Protection
The NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval describes how to identify, appraise and decide what scientific records are to be preserved in a NOAA archive.
(Specify NCEI-MD, NCEI-CO, NCEI-NC, NCEI-MS, World Data Center (WDC) facility, Other, To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended)
Notes: This field is required if archive location is World Data Center or Other.
Notes: This field is required if archive location is To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended.
Notes: Physical Location Organization, City and State are required, or a Location Description is required.
Discuss data back-up, disaster recovery/contingency planning, and off-site data storage relevant to the data collection
9. Additional Line Office or Staff Office Questions
Line and Staff Offices may extend this template by inserting additional questions in this section.