Data Management Plan
DMP Template v2.0.1 (2015-01-01)Please provide the following information, and submit to the NOAA DM Plan Repository.
Reference to Master DM Plan (if applicable)
As stated in Section IV, Requirement 1.3, DM Plans may be hierarchical. If this DM Plan inherits provisions from a higher-level DM Plan already submitted to the Repository, then this more-specific Plan only needs to provide information that differs from what was provided in the Master DM Plan.
1. General Description of Data to be Managed
These data were created as part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Office for Coastal Management's efforts to create an online
mapping viewer depicting potential water level increase and decrease in the coastal areas of the Great Lakes. The lakes included are:
Erie, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, St. Clair, and Superior. The purpose of the mapping viewer is to provide coastal managers and scientists with a
preliminary look at lake level change and potential coastal impacts. The viewer is a screening-level tool that uses nationally consistent data sets and
analyses to help users examine multiple scenarios and prioritize actions. The Lake Level Viewer may be accessed at:
These data depict the mapping confidence of the associated lake water level data for the water level amounts of -6 feet through +6 feet. The mapping
process is designed to give the most accurate picture of water extent possible, but inherent data errors introduce some uncertainty in the exact water
extents. The presentation of data confidence only represents the known error in the elevation data and not uncertainty associated with the natural evolution
of the coastal landforms (e.g., erosion or bluff failure) or future climate change impacts on lake levels.
To access the associated data to be used with this data:
NOAA Office for Coastal Management Lake Level Data: -6 Feet to +6 Feet Water Level Change data may be downloaded at:
The NOAA Office for Coastal Management has tentatively adopted an 80 percent rank (as either inundated or not inundated) as the zone of relative confidence.
The use of 80 percent has no special significance but is a commonly used rule of thumb measure to describe economic systems (Epstein and Axtell, 1996). The
method used to determine the confidence data only includes the uncertainty in the lidar derived elevation data (root mean square error, or RMSE). This
confidence data shows that the water level depicted in the -6 feet to +6 feet water level change data is not really a hard line, but rather a zone with greater
and lesser chances of being wet or dry. Areas that have a high level of confidence that they will be wet, means that there is an 80 percent or greater
likelihood that these areas will be covered with water. Conversely, there is a 20 percent or less likelihood that the area will be dry. Areas mapped as wet
(inundation) with a high confidence (or low uncertainty) are coded as 2. Areas that have a high level of confidence that they will be dry, means that there is
an 80 percent or greater likelihood that these areas will be dry. Conversely, there is a 20 percent or less likelihood that the area will be wet. Areas mapped
as dry (no inundation) with a high confidence (or low uncertainty) are coded as 0. Areas that have a low level of confidence, means that there is a 21 - 79
percent likelihood of wet or dry conditions. Note that 60 percent of the time, the land-water interface will be within this zone. Areas mapped as dry or wet
with a low confidence (or high uncertainty) are coded as 1.
As with all remotely sensed data, all features should be verified with a site visit. The data are provided as is, without warranty to their performance,
merchantable state, or fitness for any particular purpose. The entire risk associated with the results and performance of these data is assumed by the user.
This data should be used strictly as a planning reference and not for navigation, permitting, or other legal purposes. For a detailed description of the
confidence level and its computation, please see the Mapping Inundation Uncertainty document available at:
Notes: Only a maximum of 4000 characters will be included.
Notes: Data collection is considered ongoing if a time frame of type "Continuous" exists.
Notes: All time frames from all extent groups are included.
Notes: All geographic areas from all extent groups are included.
(e.g., digital numeric data, imagery, photographs, video, audio, database, tabular data, etc.)
(e.g., satellite, airplane, unmanned aerial system, radar, weather station, moored buoy, research vessel, autonomous underwater vehicle, animal tagging, manual surveys, enforcement activities, numerical model, etc.)
2. Point of Contact for this Data Management Plan (author or maintainer)
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. This field is required if applicable.
3. Responsible Party for Data Management
Program Managers, or their designee, shall be responsible for assuring the proper management of the data produced by their Program. Please indicate the responsible party below.
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Data Steward" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Programs must identify resources within their own budget for managing the data they produce.
5. Data Lineage and Quality
NOAA has issued Information Quality Guidelines for ensuring and maximizing the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of information which it disseminates.
(describe or provide URL of description):
- 2017-01-01 00:00:00 - The process to create these data is as follows: 1. NOAA OCM uses the uncertainty of each of the source elevation data sets to create depth rasters and z-score rasters for each water level (from -6 feet to +6 feet). 2. Each z-score raster is reclassified to areas of low and high confidence. Areas mapped as dry (no inundation) with a high confidence or low uncertainty are classified as 0. Areas mapped as dry or wet with a low confidence or high uncertainty are classified as 1. Areas mapped as wet (inundation) with a high confidence or low uncertainty are classified as 2.
(describe or provide URL of description):
6. Data Documentation
The EDMC Data Documentation Procedural Directive requires that NOAA data be well documented, specifies the use of ISO 19115 and related standards for documentation of new data, and provides links to resources and tools for metadata creation and validation.
- 1.6. Type(s) of data
- 1.7. Data collection method(s)
- 3.1. Responsible Party for Data Management
- 4.1. Have resources for management of these data been identified?
- 4.2. Approximate percentage of the budget for these data devoted to data management
- 5.2. Quality control procedures employed
- 7.1. Do these data comply with the Data Access directive?
- 7.1.1. If data are not available or has limitations, has a Waiver been filed?
- 7.1.2. If there are limitations to data access, describe how data are protected
- 7.4. Approximate delay between data collection and dissemination
- 8.1. Actual or planned long-term data archive location
- 8.3. Approximate delay between data collection and submission to an archive facility
- 8.4. How will the data be protected from accidental or malicious modification or deletion prior to receipt by the archive?
(describe or provide URL of description):
7. Data Access
NAO 212-15 states that access to environmental data may only be restricted when distribution is explicitly limited by law, regulation, policy (such as those applicable to personally identifiable information or protected critical infrastructure information or proprietary trade information) or by security requirements. The EDMC Data Access Procedural Directive contains specific guidance, recommends the use of open-standard, interoperable, non-proprietary web services, provides information about resources and tools to enable data access, and includes a Waiver to be submitted to justify any approach other than full, unrestricted public access.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Distributor" is used. The support role must be in effect. This information is not required if an approved access waiver exists for this data.
Notes: This field is required if a Distributor has not been specified.
Notes: All URLs listed in the Distribution Info section will be included. This field is required if applicable.
This data may be downloaded at: https://coast.noaa.gov/llv;
Notes: This field is required if applicable.
8. Data Preservation and Protection
The NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval describes how to identify, appraise and decide what scientific records are to be preserved in a NOAA archive.
(Specify NCEI-MD, NCEI-CO, NCEI-NC, NCEI-MS, World Data Center (WDC) facility, Other, To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended)
Notes: This field is required if archive location is World Data Center or Other.
Notes: This field is required if archive location is To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended.
Notes: Physical Location Organization, City and State are required, or a Location Description is required.
Discuss data back-up, disaster recovery/contingency planning, and off-site data storage relevant to the data collection
9. Additional Line Office or Staff Office Questions
Line and Staff Offices may extend this template by inserting additional questions in this section.