Data Management Plan
DMP Template v2.0.1 (2015-01-01)Please provide the following information, and submit to the NOAA DM Plan Repository.
Reference to Master DM Plan (if applicable)
As stated in Section IV, Requirement 1.3, DM Plans may be hierarchical. If this DM Plan inherits provisions from a higher-level DM Plan already submitted to the Repository, then this more-specific Plan only needs to provide information that differs from what was provided in the Master DM Plan.
1. General Description of Data to be Managed
In the summer of 2008, the Northwest Florida Water Management District collected lidar data over a portion of Walton County, FL (Eglin Air force Base)
to support various projects such as floodplain and hazards mapping, wetlands mitigation and stormwater management. The data collection occured in a
portion of the county for which there is no prior collected lidar data. Used in conjunction with previously collected data in Walton County
(FDEM Lidar collected in 2006), these data support the creation of a county-wide, high resolution, lidar derived digital elevation model(DEM).
Original contact information:
Contact Name: John B. Crowe
Contact Org: Northwest Florida Water Management District
Title: Associate Hydrologist
Phone: (850) 539-5999
Notes: Only a maximum of 4000 characters will be included.
Notes: Data collection is considered ongoing if a time frame of type "Continuous" exists.
Notes: All time frames from all extent groups are included.
Notes: All geographic areas from all extent groups are included.
(e.g., digital numeric data, imagery, photographs, video, audio, database, tabular data, etc.)
(e.g., satellite, airplane, unmanned aerial system, radar, weather station, moored buoy, research vessel, autonomous underwater vehicle, animal tagging, manual surveys, enforcement activities, numerical model, etc.)
2. Point of Contact for this Data Management Plan (author or maintainer)
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. This field is required if applicable.
3. Responsible Party for Data Management
Program Managers, or their designee, shall be responsible for assuring the proper management of the data produced by their Program. Please indicate the responsible party below.
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Data Steward" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Programs must identify resources within their own budget for managing the data they produce.
5. Data Lineage and Quality
NOAA has issued Information Quality Guidelines for ensuring and maximizing the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of information which it disseminates.
(describe or provide URL of description):
- 2008-06-15 00:00:00 - The ABGPS, IMU, and raw Optech 3100 LiDAR data are integrated into the TerraScan post processor software. The resultant file is in a LAS binary file format. The LAS file version 1.1 formats can be easily transferred from one file format to another. It is a binary file format that maintains information specific to the LiDAR data (return#, intensity value, xyz, etc.). The resultant points are produced in the geodetic coordinates referenced to the NAD83 horizontal datum and GRS80 vertical datum. The date and time for each flight line can be determined using the Julian date and time. The Julian date is a continuous count of days and fractions since noon Universal Time on January 1, 4713 BCE on the Julian calendar.
- 2008-01-01 00:00:00 - The unedited data are classified to facilitate the application of the appropriate feature extraction filters. A combination of proprietary filters are applied as appropriate for the production of bare earth digital terrain models (dtms). Interactive editing methods are applied to those areas where it is inappropriate or impossible to use the feature extraction filters, based upon the design criteria and/or limitations of the relevant filters. These same feature extraction filters are used to produce elevation height surfaces. The LiDAR mass points were delivered in American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing LAS 1.1 format. The header file for each dataset is complete as define by the LAS 1.1 specification. In addition the following fields are included: Flight Date Julian, Year, and Class. The LAS files do not include overlap. The data was classified as follows: Class 1 = Unclassified. This class includes vegetation, buildings, noise etc. Class 2 = Ground Class 9 = Water
- 2008-01-01 00:00:00 - Conversion from Geodetic coordinates, NAD83 into State Plane coordinates (meters) and conversion from ellipsoid heights (meters) into orthometric heights (U.S. Survey Feet).
- 2011-03-31 00:00:00 - The NOAA Office for Coastal Management (OCM) received files in LAS format. The files contained LiDAR intensity and elevation measurements. OCM performed the following processing on the data for data storage purposes and Digital Coast provisioning: 1. The data were converted from State Plane Florida West coordinates to geographic (NAD83) coordinates.; 2. the data were filtered to remove elevation outliers.; 3. The data were converted from NAVD88 heights to ellipsoid heights using Geoid03.; 4. The LAS header fields were sorted by latitude and updated.
(describe or provide URL of description):
6. Data Documentation
The EDMC Data Documentation Procedural Directive requires that NOAA data be well documented, specifies the use of ISO 19115 and related standards for documentation of new data, and provides links to resources and tools for metadata creation and validation.
- 1.6. Type(s) of data
- 1.7. Data collection method(s)
- 3.1. Responsible Party for Data Management
- 4.1. Have resources for management of these data been identified?
- 4.2. Approximate percentage of the budget for these data devoted to data management
- 5.2. Quality control procedures employed
- 7.1. Do these data comply with the Data Access directive?
- 7.1.1. If data are not available or has limitations, has a Waiver been filed?
- 7.1.2. If there are limitations to data access, describe how data are protected
- 7.4. Approximate delay between data collection and dissemination
- 8.1. Actual or planned long-term data archive location
- 8.3. Approximate delay between data collection and submission to an archive facility
- 8.4. How will the data be protected from accidental or malicious modification or deletion prior to receipt by the archive?
(describe or provide URL of description):
7. Data Access
NAO 212-15 states that access to environmental data may only be restricted when distribution is explicitly limited by law, regulation, policy (such as those applicable to personally identifiable information or protected critical infrastructure information or proprietary trade information) or by security requirements. The EDMC Data Access Procedural Directive contains specific guidance, recommends the use of open-standard, interoperable, non-proprietary web services, provides information about resources and tools to enable data access, and includes a Waiver to be submitted to justify any approach other than full, unrestricted public access.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Distributor" is used. The support role must be in effect. This information is not required if an approved access waiver exists for this data.
Notes: This field is required if a Distributor has not been specified.
Notes: All URLs listed in the Distribution Info section will be included. This field is required if applicable.
This data can be obtained on-line at the following URL: https://coast.noaa.gov/dataviewer
The data set is dynamically generated based on user-specified parameters.
Notes: This field is required if applicable.
8. Data Preservation and Protection
The NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval describes how to identify, appraise and decide what scientific records are to be preserved in a NOAA archive.
(Specify NCEI-MD, NCEI-CO, NCEI-NC, NCEI-MS, World Data Center (WDC) facility, Other, To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended)
Notes: This field is required if archive location is World Data Center or Other.
Notes: This field is required if archive location is To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended.
Notes: Physical Location Organization, City and State are required, or a Location Description is required.
Discuss data back-up, disaster recovery/contingency planning, and off-site data storage relevant to the data collection
9. Additional Line Office or Staff Office Questions
Line and Staff Offices may extend this template by inserting additional questions in this section.