Data Management Plan
DMP Template v2.0.1 (2015-01-01)Please provide the following information, and submit to the NOAA DM Plan Repository.
Reference to Master DM Plan (if applicable)
As stated in Section IV, Requirement 1.3, DM Plans may be hierarchical. If this DM Plan inherits provisions from a higher-level DM Plan already submitted to the Repository, then this more-specific Plan only needs to provide information that differs from what was provided in the Master DM Plan.
1. General Description of Data to be Managed
As part of the GoMMAPPS, the SEFSC conducted shipboard surveys of the oceanic waters of the Gulf of Mexico out to the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) between 14 January and 16 March 2018. The survey was designed for a two independent visual observer teams approach with Distance sampling to estimate the detection probabilities for marine mammal sightings. This dataset includes marine mammal visual observation data and effort points with surveying conditions that can be used in abundance and density modeling per visual line-transect survey protocols. This dataset also includes opportunistic marine mammal photographs and non-marine mammal sightings such as sea turtles. Raw and processed files from Conductivity, temperature and depth (CTD) casts performed on a daily basis during the survey are also available.
Notes: Only a maximum of 4000 characters will be included.
Notes: Data collection is considered ongoing if a time frame of type "Continuous" exists.
Notes: All time frames from all extent groups are included.
Notes: All geographic areas from all extent groups are included.
(e.g., digital numeric data, imagery, photographs, video, audio, database, tabular data, etc.)
(e.g., satellite, airplane, unmanned aerial system, radar, weather station, moored buoy, research vessel, autonomous underwater vehicle, animal tagging, manual surveys, enforcement activities, numerical model, etc.)
Platform(s): Gordon Gunter (GU)
2. Point of Contact for this Data Management Plan (author or maintainer)
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. This field is required if applicable.
3. Responsible Party for Data Management
Program Managers, or their designee, shall be responsible for assuring the proper management of the data produced by their Program. Please indicate the responsible party below.
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Data Steward" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Programs must identify resources within their own budget for managing the data they produce.
5. Data Lineage and Quality
NOAA has issued Information Quality Guidelines for ensuring and maximizing the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of information which it disseminates.
(describe or provide URL of description):
- Parameter or Variable: CETACEANS, VISUAL OBSERVATIONS (measured); Units: NA; Observation Category: In Situ/Laboratory Instruments, SPECIES DISTRIBUTION MODELS, POPULATION ABUNDANCE; Sampling Instrument: SHIPS, LINE-TRANSECT SURVEY, DISTANCE SAMPLING, BIG EYE BINOCULAR; Sampling and Analyzing Method: The goal of the research was to conduct line-transect surveys using the Distance sampling approach to estimate the abundance and spatial distribution of marine mammals in the oceanic waters of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. A two-team independent observer approach using pedestal-mounted 25x150 mm “big eye” binoculars was used to correct for perception bias in resulting abundance estimates. Survey tracklines were oriented perpendicular to bathymetry lines and followed a “sawtooth” pattern from approximately the 100m-isobath to the Exclusive Economic Zone. https://www.boem.gov/sites/default/files/environmental-stewardship/Environmental-Studies/GOMR/Oceanography/GoMAPPS/NOAA-Ship-Survey-January-March-2018.pdf; Data Quality Method: Data auditing consisted of making corrections based on error log notes from the field, plotting trackline points to identify errors made when recording effort status, and verifying sighting data based on data sheets from the field. (Citation: NOAA Ship Gordon Gunter Cruise Report GU18-01)
- Parameter or Variable: CONDUCTIVITY, OCEAN TEMPERATURE, WATER DEPTH, SALINITY/DENSITY, OXYGEN, FLUORESCENCE, ACOUSTIC VELOCITY (measured); Units: See below in Method; Observation Category: In Situ/Laboratory Instruments, SPECIES/POPULATION INTERACTIONS; Sampling Instrument: SHIPS, CTD; Sampling and Analyzing Method: Environmental data were collected at predetermined stations using a conductivity, temperature and depth sensor (CTD) unit. CTD casts recorded vertical profiles of salinity, temperature, and oxygen content to a maximum depth of 500 m. CTD casts were made daily, typically at the end of the mammal survey day. https://www.boem.gov/sites/default/files/environmental-stewardship/Environmental-Studies/GOMR/Oceanography/GoMAPPS/NOAA-Ship-Survey-January-March-2018.pdf Units: Temperature [ITS-90, deg C]; Fluorescence, WET Labs WETstar [mg/m^3]; Beam Transmission, WET Labs C-Star [%]; Sound Velocity [Chen-Millero, m/s]; Oxygen, SBE 43 [mg/l]; Oxygen, SBE 43 [% saturation]; Depth [salt water, m]; Salinity, Practical [PSU]; Density [density, kg/m^3].; Data Quality Method: None. (Citation: NOAA Ship Gordon Gunter Cruise Report GU18-01)
(describe or provide URL of description):
Data auditing consisted of making corrections based on error log notes from the field, plotting trackline points to identify errors made when recording effort status, and verifying sighting data based on data sheets from the field..
6. Data Documentation
The EDMC Data Documentation Procedural Directive requires that NOAA data be well documented, specifies the use of ISO 19115 and related standards for documentation of new data, and provides links to resources and tools for metadata creation and validation.
- 7.3. Data access methods or services offered
- 7.4. Approximate delay between data collection and dissemination
- 8.3. Approximate delay between data collection and submission to an archive facility
- 8.4. How will the data be protected from accidental or malicious modification or deletion prior to receipt by the archive?
(describe or provide URL of description):
7. Data Access
NAO 212-15 states that access to environmental data may only be restricted when distribution is explicitly limited by law, regulation, policy (such as those applicable to personally identifiable information or protected critical infrastructure information or proprietary trade information) or by security requirements. The EDMC Data Access Procedural Directive contains specific guidance, recommends the use of open-standard, interoperable, non-proprietary web services, provides information about resources and tools to enable data access, and includes a Waiver to be submitted to justify any approach other than full, unrestricted public access.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Distributor" is used. The support role must be in effect. This information is not required if an approved access waiver exists for this data.
Notes: This field is required if a Distributor has not been specified.
Notes: This field is required if applicable.
8. Data Preservation and Protection
The NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval describes how to identify, appraise and decide what scientific records are to be preserved in a NOAA archive.
(Specify NCEI-MD, NCEI-CO, NCEI-NC, NCEI-MS, World Data Center (WDC) facility, Other, To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended)
Notes: This field is required if archive location is World Data Center or Other.
Notes: This field is required if archive location is To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended.
Notes: Physical Location Organization, City and State are required, or a Location Description is required.
Discuss data back-up, disaster recovery/contingency planning, and off-site data storage relevant to the data collection
9. Additional Line Office or Staff Office Questions
Line and Staff Offices may extend this template by inserting additional questions in this section.