Data Management Plan
DMP Template v2.0.1 (2015-01-01)Please provide the following information, and submit to the NOAA DM Plan Repository.
Reference to Master DM Plan (if applicable)
As stated in Section IV, Requirement 1.3, DM Plans may be hierarchical. If this DM Plan inherits provisions from a higher-level DM Plan already submitted to the Repository, then this more-specific Plan only needs to provide information that differs from what was provided in the Master DM Plan.
1. General Description of Data to be Managed
The Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) LAS dataset is a topographic survey conducted for the Task Order 007 Aerial Survey 2010 project. This data was produced for the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Joint Airborne Lidar Bathymetry Technical Center of Expertise (JALBTCX). The LiDAR point cloud was flown at a density sufficient to support a maximum final post spacing of 1 points per meter. 3001 International Inc acquired flightlines between April 9 - 26, 2010. The Task Order 007 Aerial Survey 2010 was collected under the guidance of a Professional Mapper /Surveyor. This specific data set consists of 1-Meter pixel size Grids Bare Earth. This data was created from filtered Lidar points to depict bare earth.
In addition to these bare earth Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data, the lidar point data that these DEM data were created from, are also available. These data are available for custom download at the link provided in the URL section of this metadata record.
Notes: Only a maximum of 4000 characters will be included.
Notes: Data collection is considered ongoing if a time frame of type "Continuous" exists.
Notes: All time frames from all extent groups are included.
Notes: All geographic areas from all extent groups are included.
(e.g., digital numeric data, imagery, photographs, video, audio, database, tabular data, etc.)
(e.g., satellite, airplane, unmanned aerial system, radar, weather station, moored buoy, research vessel, autonomous underwater vehicle, animal tagging, manual surveys, enforcement activities, numerical model, etc.)
2. Point of Contact for this Data Management Plan (author or maintainer)
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. This field is required if applicable.
3. Responsible Party for Data Management
Program Managers, or their designee, shall be responsible for assuring the proper management of the data produced by their Program. Please indicate the responsible party below.
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Data Steward" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Programs must identify resources within their own budget for managing the data they produce.
5. Data Lineage and Quality
NOAA has issued Information Quality Guidelines for ensuring and maximizing the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of information which it disseminates.
(describe or provide URL of description):
3001 Inc., collected and processed the data for USACE. USACE provided the data to the NOAA Office for Coastal Management (OCM). OCM received the data and processed it to be available for custom download from the Data Access Viewer (DAV) and for bulk download from https.
- 2010-07-01 00:00:00 - The Airborne Global Position System (ABGPS), inertial measurement unit (IMU), and raw scans are collected during the LiDAR aerial survey. The ABGPS monitors the xyz position of the sensor and the IMU monitors the orientation of the aircraft. During the aerial survey laser pulses reflected from features on the surface and are detected by the receiver optics and collected by the data logger. GPS locations are based on data collected by receivers on the aircraft and base stations on the ground. The ground base stations are placed no more than 20 km radius from the flight survey area.
- 2009-05-27 00:00:00 - The ABGPS, IMU, and raw scans are integrated using proprietary software developed by Optech and delivered with the Optech ALTM Gemini System. The resultant file is in a LAS binary file format. The LAS file version 1.1 format can be easily transferred from one file format to another. It is a binary file format that maintains information specific to the LiDAR data (return#, intensity value, xyz, etc.). The resultant points are referenced to the Geographic NAD83 horizontal datum and NAVD88 vertical datum.
- 2009-05-27 00:00:00 - The data is subjected to rigorous QA/QC according to the 3001 Inc. Quality Control Plan and procedures. Very briefly, a series of quantitative and visual procedures are employed to validate the accuracy and consistency of the data. Ground control is established by 3001, Inc. and GPS-derived ground control points (GCPs) points in various areas of dominant and prescribed land cover. These points are coded according to landcover, surface material and ground control suitability. A suitable number of points are selected for calculation of a statistically significant accuracy assessment as per the requirements of the National Standard for Spatial Data Accuracy. A spatial proximity analysis is used to select edited LiDAR data points within a specified distance of the relevant GCPs. A search radius decision rule is applied with consideration of terrain complexity, cumulative error and adequate sample size. Accuracy validation and evaluation is accomplished using proprietary software to apply relevant statistical routines for calculation of Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) and the National Standard for Spatial Data Accuracy (NSSDA) according to Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) specifications.
- 2010-09-01 00:00:00 - Metadata imported.
- 2022-02-11 00:00:00 - The NOAA Office for Coastal Management (OCM) received GeoTiff format files from USACE JALBTCX for the Louisiana and Mississippi project area. The bare earth raster files were at a 1 m grid spacing. The data were in geographic NAD83 coordinates and NAVD88 (Geoid03) elevations in meters. OCM assigned the appropriate EPSG codes (Horiz - 4269, Vert - 5703) and copied the raster files to https for Digital Coast storage and provisioning purposes.
(describe or provide URL of description):
6. Data Documentation
The EDMC Data Documentation Procedural Directive requires that NOAA data be well documented, specifies the use of ISO 19115 and related standards for documentation of new data, and provides links to resources and tools for metadata creation and validation.
- 1.7. Data collection method(s)
- 3.1. Responsible Party for Data Management
- 4.1. Have resources for management of these data been identified?
- 4.2. Approximate percentage of the budget for these data devoted to data management
- 5.2. Quality control procedures employed
- 7.1. Do these data comply with the Data Access directive?
- 7.1.1. If data are not available or has limitations, has a Waiver been filed?
- 7.1.2. If there are limitations to data access, describe how data are protected
- 7.4. Approximate delay between data collection and dissemination
- 8.1. Actual or planned long-term data archive location
- 8.3. Approximate delay between data collection and submission to an archive facility
- 8.4. How will the data be protected from accidental or malicious modification or deletion prior to receipt by the archive?
(describe or provide URL of description):
7. Data Access
NAO 212-15 states that access to environmental data may only be restricted when distribution is explicitly limited by law, regulation, policy (such as those applicable to personally identifiable information or protected critical infrastructure information or proprietary trade information) or by security requirements. The EDMC Data Access Procedural Directive contains specific guidance, recommends the use of open-standard, interoperable, non-proprietary web services, provides information about resources and tools to enable data access, and includes a Waiver to be submitted to justify any approach other than full, unrestricted public access.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Distributor" is used. The support role must be in effect. This information is not required if an approved access waiver exists for this data.
Notes: This field is required if a Distributor has not been specified.
Notes: All URLs listed in the Distribution Info section will be included. This field is required if applicable.
Data is available online for bulk and custom downloads.
Notes: This field is required if applicable.
8. Data Preservation and Protection
The NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval describes how to identify, appraise and decide what scientific records are to be preserved in a NOAA archive.
(Specify NCEI-MD, NCEI-CO, NCEI-NC, NCEI-MS, World Data Center (WDC) facility, Other, To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended)
Notes: This field is required if archive location is World Data Center or Other.
Notes: This field is required if archive location is To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended.
Notes: Physical Location Organization, City and State are required, or a Location Description is required.
Discuss data back-up, disaster recovery/contingency planning, and off-site data storage relevant to the data collection
9. Additional Line Office or Staff Office Questions
Line and Staff Offices may extend this template by inserting additional questions in this section.