Data Management Plan
DMP Template v2.0.1 (2015-01-01)Please provide the following information, and submit to the NOAA DM Plan Repository.
Reference to Master DM Plan (if applicable)
As stated in Section IV, Requirement 1.3, DM Plans may be hierarchical. If this DM Plan inherits provisions from a higher-level DM Plan already submitted to the Repository, then this more-specific Plan only needs to provide information that differs from what was provided in the Master DM Plan.
1. General Description of Data to be Managed
This data layer is a point coverage of known sediment samplings within the United States Economic Exclusion Zone (EEZ). The data comprising this layer were sourced from two U.S. Geological Survey databases (usSEABED and the East Coast Sediment Texture Database) as well as the NOAA Electronic Navigation Charts. There are many scientifically accepted sediment classification schemes in use today, and the wide variety represented in the data sources used in this product dictated the generalized attributes utilized herein. Additional details regarding the standardization of the data can be found in the data processing and attribute definitions sections of this document. In many cases, additional details such as Munsell coloration, grain size, and composition are available in the raw data from the source. Interested parties are encouraged to seek further information from the source of the data listed in the attribute table and further described in the sources section of this document.
Notes: Only a maximum of 4000 characters will be included.
Notes: Data collection is considered ongoing if a time frame of type "Continuous" exists.
Notes: All time frames from all extent groups are included.
Notes: All geographic areas from all extent groups are included.
(e.g., digital numeric data, imagery, photographs, video, audio, database, tabular data, etc.)
(e.g., satellite, airplane, unmanned aerial system, radar, weather station, moored buoy, research vessel, autonomous underwater vehicle, animal tagging, manual surveys, enforcement activities, numerical model, etc.)
2. Point of Contact for this Data Management Plan (author or maintainer)
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Metadata Contact" is used. This field is required if applicable.
3. Responsible Party for Data Management
Program Managers, or their designee, shall be responsible for assuring the proper management of the data produced by their Program. Please indicate the responsible party below.
Notes: The name of the Person of the most recent Support Role of type "Data Steward" is used. The support role must be in effect.
Programs must identify resources within their own budget for managing the data they produce.
5. Data Lineage and Quality
NOAA has issued Information Quality Guidelines for ensuring and maximizing the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of information which it disseminates.
(describe or provide URL of description):
- 2018-08-12 00:00:00 - Crosswalk schemas from each source into new schema as shown: Layer - (raw attribute that crosswalked to Source) - (raw attribute that crosswalked to Classification) - (raw attribute that crosswalked to AdditionalDescription). ENC - Appropriate portion of SORIND - NATSUR - NATQUA. ECSTDB - created field and populated with "USGS, East Coast Sediment Texture DataBase" - CLASSIFICATION - LITHOLOGY. PAC_EXT and GMX_EXT - created field and populated with "USGS, usSEABED" - SHEPARDCOD - FOLKCODE.
- 2018-08-15 00:00:00 - Delete duplicate features (identical Shape (location) and Classification)
- 2018-08-13 00:00:00 - Merge all Feature classes together
- 2018-08-09 00:00:00 - Merge all ENC feature classes into one
- 2018-08-08 00:00:00 - Select and delete all features that are completely outside the EEZ
- 2018-08-07 00:00:00 - Project all source data into World Mercator
- 2018-08-11 00:00:00 - Create and populate SampleDepth field as shown: Layer - (raw attribute) - (processing steps). ENC - attribute created and populated with "Surface" for all records. ECSTDB - T_DEPTH and B_DEPTH - add new field called "SampleDepth", convert X_DEPTH fields to text and divide by 100 to convert to meters, Concatenate text fields into SampleDepth with " to " between and " meters" at end, select by attribute to replace entries with at least one "-9999" value to "Unknown", select by attribute and replace entries where T_DEPTH and B_DEPTH are equal with "(depth) meters", select by attribute and replace any "0" values with "Surface". PAC_EXT and GMX_EXT - SAMPLETOP and SAMPLEBASE - follow same processing steps as ECSTDB, with exception of dividing by 100 (measurements are already in meters in these datasets).
- 2018-08-10 00:00:00 - Identify ENC duplicates via topology. Delete one feature if category (NATSUR) attribute is the same in both features, or if one is NULL. Otherwise, mark as exception.
- 2018-08-14 00:00:00 - Delete all records that lack a meaningful value in both Classification and Description.
(describe or provide URL of description):
6. Data Documentation
The EDMC Data Documentation Procedural Directive requires that NOAA data be well documented, specifies the use of ISO 19115 and related standards for documentation of new data, and provides links to resources and tools for metadata creation and validation.
- 1.7. Data collection method(s)
- 2.1. Point of Contact Name
- 2.4. Point of Contact Email
- 3.1. Responsible Party for Data Management
- 4.1. Have resources for management of these data been identified?
- 4.2. Approximate percentage of the budget for these data devoted to data management
- 5.2. Quality control procedures employed
- 7.1. Do these data comply with the Data Access directive?
- 7.1.1. If data are not available or has limitations, has a Waiver been filed?
- 7.1.2. If there are limitations to data access, describe how data are protected
- 7.2. Name of organization of facility providing data access
- 7.2.1. If data hosting service is needed, please indicate
- 7.3. Data access methods or services offered
- 7.4. Approximate delay between data collection and dissemination
- 8.1. Actual or planned long-term data archive location
- 8.2. Data storage facility prior to being sent to an archive facility
- 8.3. Approximate delay between data collection and submission to an archive facility
- 8.4. How will the data be protected from accidental or malicious modification or deletion prior to receipt by the archive?
(describe or provide URL of description):
7. Data Access
NAO 212-15 states that access to environmental data may only be restricted when distribution is explicitly limited by law, regulation, policy (such as those applicable to personally identifiable information or protected critical infrastructure information or proprietary trade information) or by security requirements. The EDMC Data Access Procedural Directive contains specific guidance, recommends the use of open-standard, interoperable, non-proprietary web services, provides information about resources and tools to enable data access, and includes a Waiver to be submitted to justify any approach other than full, unrestricted public access.
Notes: The name of the Organization of the most recent Support Role of type "Distributor" is used. The support role must be in effect. This information is not required if an approved access waiver exists for this data.
Notes: This field is required if a Distributor has not been specified.
Notes: All URLs listed in the Distribution Info section will be included. This field is required if applicable.
Notes: This field is required if applicable.
8. Data Preservation and Protection
The NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval describes how to identify, appraise and decide what scientific records are to be preserved in a NOAA archive.
(Specify NCEI-MD, NCEI-CO, NCEI-NC, NCEI-MS, World Data Center (WDC) facility, Other, To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended)
Notes: This field is required if archive location is World Data Center or Other.
Notes: This field is required if archive location is To Be Determined, Unable to Archive, or No Archiving Intended.
Notes: Physical Location Organization, City and State are required, or a Location Description is required.
Discuss data back-up, disaster recovery/contingency planning, and off-site data storage relevant to the data collection
9. Additional Line Office or Staff Office Questions
Line and Staff Offices may extend this template by inserting additional questions in this section.