Alaska Regulations on Seabird Avoidance and Listed Seabirds
Regulations and guidance on seabird bycatch avoidance in Alaska's fisheries
Title 50 CFR part 679
- 679.2 Definitions. Definition of "seabird avoidance gear" and "seabird".
- 679.5 Recordkeeping and Reporting. 679.5(c)(3)(v)(G)(3)(iv) The bird avoidance gear codes used on Catcher Vessel Daily Fishing Logbook (DFL) and Catcher/processor Daily Cumulative Production Logbook (DCPL)
- 679.24 Gear Limitations. 679.24(e) Seabird avoidance program for vessels fishing with hook-and-line gear.
- 679.42 Limitations on use of QS and IFQ. 679.42(b)(2) Seabird avoidance gear and methods for IFQ.
- 679.51 Groundfish Observer Program. 679.51(e)(1)(viii)(F) Vessel responsibilities for collecting all seabirds that are incidentally taken.
- Table 19. Seabird Avoidance Gear Codes
- Table 20. Seabird Avoidance Gear Requirements for Vessels, Based on Area, Gear, and Vessel Type
For the purposes of complying with the regulatory requirements for seabird avoidance gear and methods, you are advised to see the actual text of the 50 CFR part 679 regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations.
- 66 FR 3853, January 17, 2001: Responsibilities of Federal Agencies to Protect Migratory Birds Presidential Executive Order 13186
- Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (Public Law 94-265): Sections 2, 202, 301, and 405 are among those that address bycatch.
- The Endangered Species Act of 1973: Section 7 is relevant to fisheries bycatch issues.
- Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918
- High Seas Fishing Compliance Act
ESA Listed Seabird Species
Short-tailed Albatross (Endangered)
- 74 FR 23739, May 20, 2009. Notice of availability of the Final Recovery Plan, and USFWS initiation of 5-year status review
- 70 FR 61988, October 27, 2005. Draft Recovery Plan for the Short-tailed Albatross
- 65 FR 46643, July 31, 2000: Final rule to list the Short-tailed Albatross as endangered
- USFWS' Short-tailed Albatross Species Profile
- 66 FR 8850, February 2, 2001. Final rule to designate Steller's Eider Critical Habitat
- 66 FR 9146, February 6, 2001. Final rule to designate Spectacled Eider Critical Habitat
- 62 FR 31748, June 11, 1997. The USFWS determines the Alaska breeding population of the Steller’s eider (Polysticta stelleri) to be threatened pursuant to the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended.
- 58 FR 27474, May 10, 1993. The USFWS determines that the spectacled eider (Somateria fischeri) is a threatened species throughout its range in Alaska and Russia
- USFWS' Species Profiles: