- The daily trip limit for the commercial harvest of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the southern zone is reduced from 3,500 to 1,500 pounds, effective 6:00 a.m., local time, on February 4, 2023.
- The Spanish mackerel Atlantic migratory group southern zone includes federal waters off the states of South Carolina, Georgia, and the east coast of Florida. The boundary for the southern zone is the Atlantic exclusive economic zone from the North Carolina/South Carolina border to the Monroe/Miami-Dade Counties, Florida, border.
Why This Trip Limit Reduction Is Happening:
- When landings of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the southern zone reach or are projected to reach 75 percent of the adjusted commercial quota, the daily trip limit is reduced to 1,500 pounds.
- The trip limit reduction is necessary to slow the rate of commercial harvest to avoid exceeding the commercial quota.
After The Trip Limit Reduction:
- The 1,500 pound trip limit will remain in effect until the end of the current fishing season on February 28, 2023, or when 100 percent of the adjusted commercial quota is reached or projected to be reached, whichever occurs first. If 100 percent of the adjusted quota is reached or projected to be reached, NOAA Fisheries will reduce the commercial trip limit to 500 pounds.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-50/part-622#622.385.
Sign Up For Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings And Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Media: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750