The commercial hook-and-line component for golden tilefish in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on August 14, 2018.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
The 2018 commercial catch limit for the golden tilefish hook-and-line component is 78,328 pounds gutted weight. Commercial landings are projected to reach the commercial catch limit on August 14, 2018. According to the accountability measure, harvest must close to prevent the catch limit from being exceeded.
DURING AND AFTER THE CLOSURE:
- The commercial hook-and-line component closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper permit.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during the closure does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, on August 14, 2018, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
- The commercial longline component for South Atlantic golden tilefish closed on March 25, 2018, for the remainder of the fishing year. Therefore, because the commercial longline component is already closed, and the commercial hook-and-line component will close on August 14, 2018, all commercial fishing for South Atlantic golden tilefish will close effective 12:01 a.m., local time, August 14, 2018.
- During the commercial closure, harvest or possession of golden tilefish in or from federal waters is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits when the recreational sector is open.
- Harvest by the commercial hook-and-line and longline components will reopen at 12:01 a.m., local time, on January 1, 2019.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. The complete list of regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!