The commercial harvest of greater amberjack in South Atlantic federal waters will close at 12:01 a.m. on October 18, 2017. During the commercial closure, harvest or possession of greater amberjack in or from federal waters is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits while the recreational fishery is open.
Why This Closure is Happening:
- The 2017 commercial catch limit is 769,388 pounds gutted weight. Commercial landings have met the commercial catch limit. According to the accountability measure, commercial harvest should close.
During the Closure:
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during a closure for greater amberjack does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, October 18, 2017, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777