- The commercial harvest for the Florida Keys/East Florida population of hogfish in federal waters of the South Atlantic and part of the Gulf of Mexico will close at 12:01 a.m. local time on November 16, 2018, and will open on January 1, 2019. The boundaries of the Florida Keys/East Florida population are from the 25°09′ N. latitude line off the west coast of Florida (near Cape Sable, Florida), east around South Florida, to the Florida/Georgia border.
- During the commercial closure, all sale or purchase of hogfish in or from federal waters off the Florida Keys and east coast of Florida, and south of the 25°09′ N latitude off the west coast of Florida is prohibited, and harvest or possession of hogfish in or from federal waters is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits when the recreational sector is open.
- The commercial closure for the Florida Keys/East Florida population of hogfish applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper and/or Gulf Reef Fish.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2018 commercial catch limit for the Florida Keys/East Florida population of hogfish is 4,524 pounds whole weight. Commercial landings are projected to reach the commercial catch limit by November 16, 2018.
- According to the accountability measures, commercial harvest should close to prevent the catch limit from being exceeded.
AFTER THE CLOSURE:
- The 2019 commercial fishing season for the Florida Keys/East Florida population of hogfish will open on January 1, 2019, with a commercial catch limit of 5,670 pounds whole weight. This catch limit is scheduled to increase annually through 2027.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750