- The commercial harvest of blueline tilefish in South Atlantic federal waters will reopen for eight days on October 24, 2017. Commercial harvest will reopen 12:01 a.m. (local time) on October 24, 2017 and close 12:01 a.m. (local time) on November 1, 2017. During the eight-day reopening, the commercial trip limit for blueline tilefish is 336 pounds whole weight or 300 pounds gutted weight.
Why This Reopening is Happening:
- The 2017 commercial catch limit is 87,521 pounds whole weight. On July 18, 2017, the commercial catch limit for the 2017 season was projected to be met, and NOAA Fisheries closed the season. However, a recent landings update indicates that the blueline tilefish catch limit was not met.
After the Reopening:
- The 2018 fishing season for the commercial sector opens at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2018.
- As a reminder, recreational harvest is closed for the remaining part of 2017. Therefore, the recreational bag and possession limit for blueline tilefish in or from South Atlantic federal waters is zero.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777