Who is affected?
- Any commercial shark fishermen in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean, including the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea.
- Any dealers who buy or sell sharks or shark products in these areas.
What will it do?
- Allow a shark fishery to remain open after the fishery’s landings have reached or are projected to reach 80-percent of the available overall, regional, and/or sub-regional quota, if the fishery’s landings are not projected to reach 100 percent of the applicable quota before the end of the season.
- Change the minimum notification time for closures from 5 days to 4 days for filing with the Office of the Federal Register.
- Fishermen and dealers are not required to do anything at this time.
This constitutes as the small entity compliance guide for the relevant rule, and is sent to help keep you informed about the fishery.
This notice is a courtesy to permit holders to help keep you informed about the Atlantic Highly Migratory Species fisheries. For further information, contact the HMS Management Division at (301) 427-8503, or visit the Atlantic HMS Management Division. Official notice of federal fishery actions is made through filing notice with the Office of the Federal Register.