Shellfish Best Management Practices, Standards, and Certification Programs
A collection of industry driven and government mandated best management practices for shellfish aquaculture.
Please note that this list of best management practices for farming shellfish is not exhaustive. NOAA does not advocate for any one organization or its practices.
State Best Management Practices
National and Global Best Management Practices
- Aquaculture Stewardship Council Bivalve Standards
- Codex Alimentarius Principles for Food Import and Export Inspection and Certification
- FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries - this code provides principles and standards applicable to the conservation, management and development of all fisheries, including aquaculture.
- Global Aquaculture Alliance Best Aquaculture Practices
- World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) Bivalve Aquaculture Dialogue Standards - global standards for growers of filter-feeding bivalves such as clams, oysters, scallops, and mussels.