How to Complete a For-Hire eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR Web App
Operators of federally permitted vessels must submit a vessel trip report (VTR) for each fishing trip. VTRs are important because they provide data that informs fishery science and management decisions. These are tips to complete VTRs electronically.
Use this page for guidance on filling in eVTR fields to complete your report.
NOTE: The document Electronic Vessel Trip Report (eVTR) Reporting Instructions provides the complete reference information that you need to satisfy reporting requirements.
- With a connection to the internet, on the Fish Online Login Page, enter your login credentials, then click Log In.
- After you log in, select the vessel for which you are completing a trip report.
- Once you are on your Vessel Profile page, click VTR/IVR Reporting from the menu on the left side of the screen.
- When the next screen opens, select VTR/IVR Reporting; this action brings you to the Reporting home page
NOTE: You may use the app in a web browser or use the Install option to install the app directly on your computer, phone, or tablet. When you use the installed app, you may complete your trip report without an internet connection; however, an internet connection is required to submit the data.
Report a Trip With Catch
- Click or tap the + sign in the top right corner of the screen.
- Enter the DATE SAILED and VESSEL PERMIT NUMBER (search for this either by vessel name or permit number). Once complete, select NEXT.
- Enter TRIP TYPE and NUMBER OF CREW.
If you are a vessel operator, you should already be known to Fish Online eVTR Web App based on your username and password. If for any reason you are not, see our contact information below.
- Select NEXT.
- Review for accuracy, then select SAVE.
- Select ADD EFFORT at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter GEAR CODE, GEAR QUANTITY, GEAR SIZE, and MESH SIZE. Select NEXT.
- Enter CHART AREA, NUMBER OF HAULS, SOAK TIME, and FISHING DEPTH (fathoms), then select NEXT.
- Enter LATITUDE/LONGITUDE by selecting either the CURRENT LOCATION button (using the device’s GPS) or by selecting your preferred Lat/Lon format and entering it manually.
- Select SAVE.
- Select ADD CATCH at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter species caught either by searching for the name or by searching for the species code.
- Enter the pounds KEPT and the pounds DISCARDED. (If you discarded no fish, you must enter 0 into the Discard field.) Select SAVE.
- Continue in this manner to add any additional catch until you have reported all of it, then select TRIP REVIEW at the bottom of the screen.
NOTE: If you are adding another Effort for this trip, select ADD EFFORT and follow the steps in the previous section, Effort.
Landing and Offload
- Select ADD LANDING from the bottom of the screen.
- Enter DATE AND TIME LANDED, then select SAVE.
- Select ADD OFFLOAD.
- Select SPECIES to offload (either individually or by using the SELECT ALL button), then select NEXT.
- Enter POUNDS SOLD, DEALER INFORMATION, PORT LANDED, and DATE SOLD, then select NEXT SAVE.
- Select SIGN at the bottom of the screen.
- Review DATE SAILED and DATE LAND times for accuracy, then select NEXT.
- Review offload and sale information for accuracy, then select NEXT.
- Check the box (you may be prompted to log in again at this point), then click or tap SUBMIT.
Did Not Catch
You must report your trip even if you didn’t catch any fish:
- Begin a trip by tapping the + sign.
- Enter Sail Date and Vessel Permit, then tap NEXT.
- Enter TRIP TYPE (Charter or Party), NUMBER OF CREW , NUMBER OF ANGLERS, and VESSEL OPERATOR, then tap NEXT then SAVE.
- Tap ADD EFFORT, then enter Gear Code, Gear QTY, then tap NEXT.
- Enter CHART AREA, TOW/SOAK TIME AND DEPTH, then tap NEXT.
- Select LAT/LON FORMAT, then enter LAT and LON or use the CURRENT LOCATION function if on location. Tap SAVE.
- Tap ADD CATCH and in the Species Search Box search for NO CATCH, then tap SAVE.
- Tap TRIP REVIEW.
- Tap ADD LANDING. Enter date/time then tap SAVE.
- Tap SIGN, review by tapping NEXT, check off certification box, then tap SUBMIT to sign and submit your report.
You must report your trip if you began a fishing trip, but returned to port before fishing occurs due to issues like bad weather, mechanical problems or illness:
- Begin a trip by tapping the + sign.
- Enter SAIL DATE and VESSEL PERMIT, then tap NEXT.
- Enter TRIP TYPE (Charter or Party), NO. OF CREW, NO. OF ANGLERS, and VESSEL OPERATOR, then tap NEXT, then tap SAVE.
- Tap NO EFFORT TRIP, then select a reason for no effort.
- Tap SIGN, then enter your Land Date, then tap NEXT.
- Select the proper trip activity, then tap NEXT.
- Check the certification box.
- Submit your report.
Displaying All Trips Submitted to NOAA
On the Home screen, the blue boxes displaying trip information are a combination of open and submitted trips on your current device. To see all trips that you submitted to NOAA, click on the three lines at the top left of the home screen, then select VTR Trip List. This action displays all submitted trips regardless of the device used.
Contact our Help Desk at (978) 281-9188, firstname.lastname@example.org or your local Port Agent.