Biological Opinion Liberty Oil and Gas Development and Production Plan Activities, Beaufort Sea, Alaska
Endangered Species Act (ESA) Section 7(a)(2) Biological Opinion Liberty Oil and Gas Development and Production Plan Activities, Beaufort Sea, Alaska, NMFS Consultation Number: AKRO-2019-00004 (Previously AKR-2018-9747).
This opinion considers the effects of the authorization of oil and gas exploration activities for the Liberty Project from December 2019 to November 2044. These actions have the potential to affect the:
- endangered bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus)
- endangered blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus)
- endangered fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus)
- endangered Western North Pacific distinct population segment (DPS) humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae)
- threatened Mexico DPS humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae)
- endangered North Pacific right whale (Eubalaena japonica)
- endangered sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus)
- endangered Western DPS Steller sea lion (Eumatopias jubatus)
- threatened Arctic subspecies of ringed seal (Phoca hispida hispida)
- threatened Beringia DPS bearded seal (Erignathus barbatus nauticus)
Designated critical habitats for North Pacific right whales and Steller sea lions are also potentially affected. The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management determined there would be no effect to Western North Pacific DPS endangered gray whales (Eschrichtius robustus).
Action Agencies: Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement , Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
NMFS Consultation Number: AKRO-2019-00004 (Previously AKR-2018-9747)