Habitat Mapping Activity: Follow ‘Ō‘io Throughout Their Life Cycle
Students color their way through the various habitats a Hawaiian bonefish inhabits throughout its life cycle.
To illustrate your fish life stages and habitats on a computer, tablet, or smartphone, launch your preferred digital art application and open the JPEG file:
Audience: Grades 3-5
Next Generation Science Standards Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- LS1.B: Growth and Development of Organisms
- LS2.C: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience
- LS4.D: Biodiversity and Humans
- ESS3.C: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Types of Habitat - Explore other types of habitat that are important to fish and learn more about the ones in the activity.
- NOAA Habitat Restoration Atlas - Get to know habitat restoration projects in your area and how you can get involved.
- Conserving Habitat in the Pacific Islands - The Pacific Islands region maps marine habitats across the Pacific, studying their physical and biological properties, along with impacts like marine debris, invasive species, and pollutants.