Habitat Mapping: Follow ‘Ō‘io Throughout Their Life Cycle
A map-making activity allows students to color their way through the various habitats a Hawaiian bonefish inhabits throughout its life cycle.
Download the habitat mapping activity
- PDF (Instructions and Activity, 3 pages)
- JPEG (Part 1/2 - Instructions, 2.83 MB), JPEG (Part 2/2 - Activity, 2.88 MB), JPEG (Sample, 0.33 MB)
To illustrate your fish life stages and habitats on a computer, tablet, or smartphone, launch your preferred digital art software or application and open or import the JPEG file.
Check out the recorded webinar and learn more about the journey of ‘ō’io across different habitats!
Audience: Grades 3-5
Next Generation Science Standards Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- LS1.B: Growth and Development of Organisms
- LS2.C: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience
- LS4.D: Biodiversity and Humans
- ESS3.C: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Types of Habitat - Explore other types of habitat that are important to fish and learn more about the ones in the activity.
- NOAA Habitat Restoration Atlas - Get to know habitat restoration projects in your area and how you can get involved.
- Conserving Habitat in the Pacific Islands - The Pacific Islands region maps marine habitats across the Pacific, studying their physical and biological properties, along with impacts like marine debris, invasive species, and pollutants.