What We Do
We provide expertise and advice throughout the agency to help guide messaging for target audiences.
We coordinate and collaborate with communications professionals across offices on strategies, announcements, and campaigns.
We oversee a broad range of products and services such as:
- National stakeholder engagement
- Web & social media
- Brand management & graphics design
- Video & podcasts
- Internal communications
- Communications training
- Teacher at Sea—a program that sends more than 30 teachers on our research ships every year to help our scientists with their research and take what they learned back to the classroom.
- Fisheries Education Council—a forum for Fisheries educators to share their expertise, experience, and projects.
- Climate Stewards Education Program—a NOAA Ocean Service program that provides educators with tools and support for building a climate-literate public actively engaged in climate stewardship.
We facilitate written communications sent to or received from Members of Congress.
Ms. Naughten manages strategic communications for NOAA Fisheries including internal, external, and online communications and the implementation of the agency's National Communications Strategy. She also chairs the agency's Regional Communications Council and Fisheries' Education Council and oversees the agency's Teacher at Sea Program and Controlled Correspondence Unit.
Ms. Ferro oversees the broad suite of NOAA Fisheries communications products and services, including strategy, brand management, digital media, and communications training. She co-chairs the NOAA Fisheries Web Council and is a co-representative for Fisheries on the NOAA Web Committee. She started as a communications lead for the Office of Habitat Conservation. She has been a senior communications consultant for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s national partnership programs and program coordinator at the Center for Marine Conservation.