Observer Fee Collection and Payment - North Pacific Groundfish and Halibut Fisheries Observer Program
Fee collection and payment for the observer partial coverage category in North Pacific groundfish and halibut fisheries.
Observer coverage in the partial coverage category is funded through a system of fees based on the ex-vessel value of groundfish and halibut landed by vessels in the partial coverage category. Beginning in 2019, the funds from this fee will also be used to deploy Electronic Monitoring. Landings accruing against an IFQ allocation or a Federal TAC for groundfish from vessels in the partial coverage category are assessed a 1.25% fee using standard ex-vessels prices multiplied by the landed catch weight of groundfish and halibut. The standard prices are published annually in the Federal Register and the fee percentage is set in regulations at § 679.55 and reviewed periodically by the Council.
The fee is split between the processor or Registered Buyer and the vessel owner or operator. The processor or Registered Buyer collects the vessel operator's share of the fee at the time of landing and remits the fee to NOAA Fisheries each year. Owners of small catcher/processors in the partial coverage category are responsible for remitting the full fee to NOAA Fisheries.
How to Pay Your Fees
- Observer fee payments: Online on eFISH (Payment due February 15)
- Proposed fee adjustment. Comment period through 04/08/2020.
- Port and port groups used to determine standard prices for observer fees (PDF, 11 pages)
- Standard Ex-vessel Prices: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 (Excel)
- Notices of standard ex-vessel prices for observer fees