Charter Halibut Limited Access - Area 2C Historical Information
International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) 2C (Southeast Alaska) sport halibut litigation, and the replacement of the Pacific halibut guideline harvest level program with the catch sharing plan.
Catch Sharing Replaces Guideline Harvest Levels
The 2014 catch sharing plan for the guided sport (charter) and commercial fisheries for Pacific halibut in waters of International Pacific Halibut Commission Regulatory Areas 2C (Southeast Alaska) and 3A (Central Gulf of Alaska) replaced the Guideline Harvest Level program, defined an annual process for allocating halibut between the charter and commercial fisheries in Area 2C and Area 3A, and established allocations for each fishery. The commercial fishery will continue to be managed under the Individual Fishing Quota system. To allow flexibility for individual commercial and charter fishery participants, the catch sharing plan also authorizes annual transfers of commercial halibut quota to charter halibut permit holders for harvest in the charter fishery.
- Final regulations to implement a catch sharing plan. Effective January 2014
- North Pacific Fishery Management Council Final Action, October 2012
Area 2C Pacific Halibut Regulations - History of Litigation and Management
For reference only; please see current sport halibut regulations.
- Decision: Charter Operators of Alaska v. Rebecca Blank, February 2012 (PDF)
- Bench Order: Charter Operators of Alaska v. Gary Locke, April 2011 (PDF)
- U.S. District Court Opinion and U.S. District Court Order, November 2009 (PDF)
- 74 FR 21194, May 6, 2009. Final rule to implement regulations to limit the harvest of Pacific halibut by guided sport charter vessel anglers in International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) Regulatory Area 2C of Southeast Alaska to one halibut per day. Effective June 5, 2009.
- 73 FR 52795, September 11, 2008. Final rule to withdraw regulations that placed limits on charter vessel anglers, including a one-halibut daily bag limit in International Pacific Halibut Commission Area 2C.
- 73 FR 30504, May 28, 2008. Final rule implementing regulations to limit the harvest of Pacific halibut by guided sport charter vessel anglers in IPHC Area 2c of Southeast Alaska to the guideline harvest level (GHL) of 931,000 lb (422.3 mt). Effective June 1, 2008.
- 72 FR 30714, June 4, 2007. NMFS issues a final rule to restrict the harvest of halibut by persons fishing on a guided sport charter vessel in International Pacific Halibut Commission Regulatory Area 2C.
- Sport Halibut Fishing
- Pacific Halibut Sport Fishing on Charter Vessels - Federal Register Rules and Notices
- Pacific Halibut Catch Sharing Plan and Annual Management Measures- Federal Register Rules and Notices
- Pacific Halibut Guideline Harvest Levels - Federal Register Rules and Notices
- Individual Fishing Quota (IFQ) Program
- Federal Fisheries in Alaska