Online library for aquaculture related material including policies, newsletters, and fact sheets.
Welcome to the NOAA Office of Aquaculture library, which provides links to NOAA documents, scientific publications, conference proceedings, and more. This page also links to our newsletter and leadership messages.
NOAA Aquaculture Program Newsletter
Constituent outreach is an important part of aquaculture education. The Office of Aquaculture produces a quarterly newsletter that features NOAA news, feature stories, and available funding opportunities.
- Aquaculture News: March 2019
- Aquaculture News: June 2018
- Aquaculture News: January 2018
- Aquaculture News: July 20, 2017
- Aquaculture News: December 9, 2016
- Aquaculture News: July 13, 2016
Key Aquaculture Documents
- Office of Aquaculture Fact Sheet (NOAA, 2019)
- Using underwater video to observe aquaculture gear in Long Island Sound - A Citizen Science Guide (2018)
- Fisheries of the United States, 2017 (NOAA, 2018)
- The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2018 (U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, 2018)
- Aquaculture Disaster Relief Resources (2018)
- Evaluation of U.S. Shellfish Aquaculture Permitting Systems state-by-state spreadsheet (2018)
- Evaluation of U.S. Shellfish Aquaculture Permitting Systems report (2018)
- State-by-State Shellfish Aquaculture Permitting Information (2017)
- Shellfish Growers Guide (2016)
- Corps, NMFS, and FWS Opportunities for More Efficient Permitting of Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture under General Permits (2016)
- Marine Aquaculture Strategic Plan: FY 2016–2020 (NOAA, 2015)
- National Strategic Plan for Federal Aquaculture Research (2014–2019) (National Science and Technology Council, 2014)
- Guide to Federal Aquaculture Programs and Services (Interagency Working Group on Aquaculture, 2014)
- Marine Aquaculture Policy (2011) (NOAA, 2011)
- Aquaculture Policy (U.S. Department of Commerce, 2011)
- Overcoming Technical Barriers to the Sustainable Development of Competitive Marine Aquaculture in the United States (NOAA, 2009)
- Summary of 2008 National Symposium on Shellfish & the Environment (NOAA, 2009)
- National Aquatic Animal Health Plan for the United States (National Aquatic Animal Health Task Force, 2008)
- Offshore Aquaculture in the United States: Economic Considerations, Implications & Opportunities (NOAA, 2008)
- An Ocean Blueprint for the 21st Century (U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy, 2004)
- Stock enhancement publications (Science Consortium for Ocean Replenishment)
Advances in aquaculture science, technology, and management practices have grown as quickly as aquaculture’s role in global seafood supply. Many of aquaculture’s past limitations—like questions about feeds, diseases, and escapes—have been addressed (in part) through NOAA's commitment to investing in innovation.
For more on developments in aquaculture, and on aquaculture basics in general, read our annotated list of references.