Best Management Practices, Standards, and Certification Programs
This section provides links to documents containing both industry-driven and government mandated Best Management Practices. This list provides examples of some prominent BMP documents, but is by no means an exhaustive list. NOAA does not advocate for any organization or any such practices.
State Best Management Practices Resources
Regional Industry Association Best Management Practices
- Pacific Coast Shellfish Grower’s Association
- East Coast Shellfish Growers Association
National and Global Best Management Practices
- Global Aquaculture Alliance Best Aquaculture Practices
- CODEX ALIMENTARIUS Principles for Food Import and Export Inspection and Certification
- World Wildlife Foundation Bivalve Aquaculture Dialogue Standards -- WWF, in collaboration with a diverse group of aquaculture stakeholders, developed global standards for filter-feeding bivalves: clams, oysters, scallops and mussels. Over a three-year period, almost 400 people joined the discussion. Their work ended in August 2010, when the first set of credible global standards for the bivalve aquaculture industry was published.
- FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries -- The Code provides principles and standards applicable to the conservation, management and development of all fisheries including aquaculture.
- Aquaculture Stewardship Council - Bivalve Standards