- Commercial and recreational harvest of lane snapper in Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) federal waters will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on November 15, 2022.
- Commercial and recreational harvest will reopen at 12:01 a.m., local time, on January 1, 2023.
Why This Closure is Happening:
- The 2022 stock annual catch limit is 1,028,973 pounds whole weight.
- Based on preliminary landings, the 2022 stock annual catch limit set by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council and monitored by NOAA Fisheries has been met.
- In accordance with regulations, if the sum of commercial and recreational landings reaches or is projected to reach the stock annual catch limit, NOAA Fisheries must close the recreational and commercial sectors for the remainder of that fishing year.
- This closure is needed to prevent overfishing of lane snapper (annual catch rate is too high).
During the Closure:
- No recreational or commercial fisherman may fish for or keep lane snapper after 12:01 a.m. (local time) on November 15, 2022.
- During the commercial and recreational closure, the bag and possession limits are zero for lane snapper in or from federal waters of the Gulf.
- The prohibition on possession of Gulf lane snapper also applies in Gulf state waters for a vessel issued a valid federal charter vessel/headboat permit for Gulf reef fish.
- Sale or purchase of any harvested lane snapper in or from federal waters is prohibited.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase does not apply to trade in lane snapper that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold before 12:01 a.m., (local time) November 15, 2022, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, FL now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750