- The commercial harvest of blueline tilefish in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m., local time on August 22, 2018. During the commercial closure, all sale or purchase of blueline tilefish is prohibited, and harvest or possession of blueline tilefish in or from federal waters is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits while the recreational sector is open.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2018 commercial catch limit is 87,521 pounds whole weight. Commercial landings are projected to reach the commercial catch limit by August 22, 2018. According to the accountability measure, harvest should close to prevent the catch limit from being exceeded.
AFTER THE CLOSURE:
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper.
- The 2019 commercial fishing season for blueline tilefish in the South Atlantic will open on January 1, 2019, with a commercial catch limit of 87,521 pounds whole weight.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!