The commercial harvest of Atlantic migratory group Spanish mackerel (Atlantic Spanish mackerel) northern zone will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on June 21, 2022, and will re-open on March 1, 2023. The northern zone for Atlantic Spanish mackerel includes federal waters from North Carolina through New York. During the commercial closure, harvest or possession of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in or from the northern zone is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits while the recreational sector is open, but those fish may not be sold.
Why This Closure Is Happening:
- The commercial quota for Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone for the March 2022 through February 2023 fishing year is 662,670 lbs.
- Commercial landings are projected to reach the commercial quota for Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone. According to the accountability measure, harvest must close to prevent the quota from being exceeded.
During The Closure:
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during a commercial closure for Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, June 21, 2022, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
- During the closure, a person on board a vessel that has been issued a valid federal commercial permit for coastal migratory pelagic fish may continue to retain Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone under the recreational bag and possession limits, as long as the recreational sector for Atlantic Spanish mackerel is open.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=38b00fbc079181f330b3d8428a1d8fea&mc=true&n=pt50.12.622&r=PART&ty=HTML#sp50.12.622.q.
Sign Up For Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750