- The commercial harvest of the Atlantic migratory group Spanish mackerel (Atlantic Spanish mackerel) northern zone will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on September 25, 2023, and will re-open on March 1, 2024.
- The northern zone for Atlantic Spanish mackerel includes federal waters from North Carolina through New York. During the commercial closure, harvest or possession of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in or from the northern zone is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits while the recreational sector is open, but those fish may not be sold.
Why This Closure Is Happening:
- The commercial quota for Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone for the March 2023 through February 2024 fishing year is 662,670 pounds.
- Commercial landings have met the commercial quota for Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone. According to the accountability measure, harvest must close to protect the Atlantic Spanish mackerel population.
During The Closure:
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during a commercial closure for Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, September 25, 2023, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
- During the closure, a person on board a vessel that has been issued a valid federal commercial permit for coastal migratory pelagic fish may continue to retain Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the northern zone under the recreational bag and possession limits, as long as the recreational sector for Atlantic Spanish mackerel is open, but those fish may not be sold.
Sign Up For Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202