The commercial longline component for golden tilefish in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on March 25, 2018. The closure applies to longline endorsement holders for golden tilefish.
Why This Closure is Happening:
- On January 2, 2018, a final temporary rule implemented interim measures to temporarily reduce the total catch limit for golden tilefish from 558,036 to 323,000 pounds gutted weight. The total catch limit applies to hook-and-line and longline components for the commercial sector as well as the recreational sector.
- The interim measures are effective through July 1, 2018, and NOAA Fisheries is evaluating extending the interim measures for up to an additional 186 days.
- The 2018 commercial catch limit for the golden tilefish longline component is now 234,982 pounds gutted weight. Commercial landings information indicates that the commercial catch limit for the longline component will be met by at 12:01 a.m., local time, on March 25, 2018, and harvest therefore should be closed.
During and After the Closure:
- The commercial longline component closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have longline endorsement for golden tilefish.
- During the closure, vessels with a golden tilefish longline endorsement are not eligible to commercially harvest golden tilefish using hook-and line gear and are limited to the recreational bag and possession limits when the recreational sector is open.
- Vessels that do not have longline endorsements, but have South Atlantic snapper-grouper unlimited permits, may harvest golden tilefish commercially until the hook-and-line quota is reached.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during the closure does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, on March 25, 2018, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!