- Commercial harvest of Atlantic group cobia (Georgia through New York) will close in federal waters at 12:01 a.m., local time, November 6, 2020. Commercial harvest will reopen in federal waters at 12:01 a.m., local time, on January 1, 2021.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2020 commercial quota is 50,000 pounds whole or gutted weight. NOAA Fisheries projects the 2020 Atlantic cobia quota for the commercial sector will be reached by November 6, 2020, based on reported landings to date and landings that are expected to be reported by dealers that do not have a federal dealer permit.
- This closure is necessary to protect the Atlantic cobia resource by preventing the commercial quota from being exceeded.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- The sale or purchase of Atlantic migratory group cobia in or from federal waters during a closure is prohibited. The prohibition on sale and purchase does not apply to the sale or purchase of Atlantic cobia that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, November 6, 2020, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750