- Commercial harvest of gray triggerfish in federal waters will close at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on November 26, 2019.
- Commercial harvest will reopen at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2020.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2019 adjusted commercial quota is 60,298 pounds. Updated landings data indicate that the harvest of gray triggerfish is rapidly approaching the quota.
- In accordance with the regulations, NOAA Fisheries must close commercial harvest for gray triggerfish when the quota has been met or is projected to be met.
- As a result, commercial harvest for gray triggerfish will close in federal waters at 12:01 am (local time) on November 26, 2019, and will remain closed until 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2020.
- This closure is necessary to protect the gray triggerfish resource.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- No commercial fisherman may fish for or keep gray triggerfish after 12:01 a.m. on November 26, 2019.
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a valid Gulf of Mexico commercial reef fish permit.
- Sale or purchase of any harvested gray triggerfish in or from federal waters is prohibited.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase does not apply to trade in gray triggerfish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold before 12:01 a.m., November 26, 2019, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750