- Commercial harvest of gray triggerfish in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) will close at 12:01 am, local time, on October 7, 2018.
- Commercial harvest will remain closed through the end of the year.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2018 commercial quota is 60,900 pounds. Data indicate that commercial landings of gray triggerfish met the quota.
- In accordance with the regulations, NOAA Fisheries must close a fishery when the quota has been met. This closure is needed to prevent overfishing of this species.
- Overfishing is defined as too many fish being caught each year.
- As a result, commercial harvest will close in federal waters of the Gulf at 12:01 a.m., local time, on October 7, 2018, and will remain closed through the end of the year, and will reopen at 12:01am, local time, on January 1, 2019.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- No commercial fisherman may fish for or keep gray triggerfish after 12:01 a.m., local time, on October 7, 2018.
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a valid Gulf of Mexico commercial reef fish permit.
- Sale or purchase of any harvested gray triggerfish in or from federal waters is prohibited.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase does not apply to trade in gray triggerfish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold before 12:01 a.m., local time, October 7, 2018, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750