Commercial harvest of greater amberjack in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico will close at 12:01 a.m. on June 20, 2017. Commercial harvest will reopen at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2018.
Why This Closure is Happening:
- The latest report for greater amberjack landings through June 12, 2017, indicates 98 percent of the quota was harvested.
- As a result, commercial harvest will close in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico on June 20, 2017.
- This closure is necessary to protect the greater amberjack population. This population is currently considered overfished (the population is too low) and undergoing overfishing (too many fish being harvested).
During the Closure:
- Any person aboard a vessel for which a commercial vessel permit for Gulf reef fish has been issued must comply with the closure regardless of where the fish are harvested.
- No greater amberjack caught in Gulf of Mexico federal waters after the closure date may be purchased, bartered, traded, or sold.
- The prohibition of sale does not apply to trade in greater amberjack that were harvested, landed ashore and bartered, traded, or sold before the closure, and held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777