- Commercial harvest of king mackerel in federal waters of the Western Zone will close at 12:00 pm, local time, on October 5, 2018.
- Commercial harvest will reopen at 12:01 am, local time, on July 1, 2019.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2018/2019 commercial hook-and-line quota is 1,116,000 pounds. Updated landings data indicate that the harvest of king mackerel in this zone will reach the quota by October 5, 2018.
- In accordance with regulations, NOAA Fisheries is required to close a fishery when the quota has been met. This closure is needed to prevent overfishing of this species. Overfishing is when the annual catch rate is too high.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- A person on board a vessel that has been issued a valid federal commercial or charter vessel/headboat permit for coastal migratory pelagic fish may continue to retain king mackerel in the Western Zone under the recreational bag and possession limits, as long as the recreational sector for Gulf king mackerel is open.
- King mackerel from the closed zone, including those harvested under the bag and possession limits, may not be purchased or sold after 12:00 pm on October 5, 2018.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase does not apply to trade in king mackerel that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold before 12:00 pm, October 5, 2018, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750