- Federal waters adjacent to Georgia state waters are open to fishing for white, brown, and pink shrimp as of 4:15 p.m., local time, May 18, 2018.
- Georgia state waters remain closed until the state determines an appropriate reopening date.
WHY THIS REOPENING IS HAPPENING:
- Georgia closed its state waters to all shrimping on January 15, 2018, due to a prolonged period of water temperatures at or below 9°C in the region.
- Georgia requested NOAA Fisheries to close federal waters off Georgia. The federal closure was effective January 24, 2018.
- The purpose of the closure was to protect the white shrimp spawning population.
- Based on warming water temperatures and current projections provided by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, state fisheries officials determined the threat to overwintering shrimp has passed and requested that NOAA Fisheries open federal waters to trawling.
- Georgia officials will continue to monitor the white shrimp population for the purposes of determining when it is appropriate to allow shrimp fishing to resume in state waters.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!