NOAA Fisheries reminds recreational fishermen that the Gulf of Mexico greater amberjack recreational fishing season reopens 12:01 a.m., local time, on May 1, 2021 and will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on June 1, 2021.
What this Means:
- Preliminary landings indicate the recreational greater amberjack quota has not been met or projected to be met allowing the recreational fishing season to reopen May 1, 2021.
- The recreational fishing season for greater amberjack will close for the remainder of the fishing year during its second seasonal closure, starting June 1 through July 31.
- The 2021/2022 recreational greater amberjack fishing year will start on August 1, 2021.
Greater Amberjack Recreational Management Measures:
- Fishing Year: August 1 - July 31
- Seasonal Closure: November 1 - April 30 and June 1 – July 31
- Minimum Size Limit: 34 inch fork length
- Accountability Measures: Inseason closure and payback of any overage of the annual catch limit
- Bag Limit: 1 fish per person
- 2020/2021 annual catch limit: 1,309,620 lbs whole weight
- 2020/2021 annual catch target: 1,086,985 lbs whole weight
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts – Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750