NOAA Fisheries is holding a listening session for Gulf of Mexico shrimpers including captains, permit holders, and deckhands on September 20, 2023, from 4-7 p.m. EDT. The goal of this session is to generate local ecological knowledge on the Gulf of Mexico shrimp fishery.
Why This is Happening:
Our intent is to increase information flow between scientists, managers, and fishermen in support of improved fishery resources in the Gulf of Mexico.
We are interested in hearing about:
- What aspects of your operation are most critical to your success? Are those aspects facing short or long-term threats?
- What impact has fisheries management had on your industry?
- What targeted research might improve management of the shrimp fishery?
- How do ecosystem changes affect your businesses and communities?
- What do people value in the ecosystem?
September 20, 2023, from 4–7 p.m. EDT
Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council
4107 W. Spruce St. #200, Tampa, FL 33607
These meetings are physically accessible to people with disabilities. Requests for auxiliary aids should be directed to Molly Stevens 5 days prior to the meeting at (305) 361-4489 or Molly.Stevens@noaa.gov.
For any questions regarding this session, please contact Molly Stevens.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information, contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202