NOAA Fisheries announces a final rule modifying the greater amberjack recreational fishing year and fixed closed season in the Gulf of Mexico. Recreational fishing for greater amberjack will be open May 1-31, 2018.
When This Rule Will Take Effect:
- Regulations will be effective April 30, 2018.
What This Means:
- The greater amberjack recreational fishing year will be August 1 through July 31 (see table below).
- The greater amberjack recreational fixed closed season will be November 1 through April 30 and June 1 through July 31.
- Recreational fishing will be open August through October and in May.
- Therefore, the greater amberjack recreational sector will open on May 1, 2018.
Fishing Year and Fixed Closed Seasons
|August - October||November - April||
June - July
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is the recreational fishing year changing?
- The change in fishing year is expected to improve recreational fishermen’s access to greater amberjack.
- It is expected to provide an opportunity to harvest this species when other targeted reef fish species are prohibited from harvest (i.e. fall opening).
Why is the recreational fixed closed season changing?
- The recreational fixed closed season was January 1 through June 30. The intent of this closure for 2018 was to provide the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council more time to consider the most appropriate recreational closed season.
- The new fixed closed season of November 1 through April 30 and June 1 through July 31 is expected to protect the greater amberjack population during peak spawning and still allow for spring (May) and fall (August through October) recreational harvest.
Where can I find more information on this rule?
- Contact NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
By Mail: Kelli O’Donnell
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!