- NOAA Fisheries announces an increase in the commercial quota for Atlantic migratory group cobia in federal waters of the Atlantic.
- The commercial quota for Atlantic cobia will increase from 50,000 pounds (lbs) to 73,116 lbs based on the results of the latest population assessment.
- The rule will also modify the process for a commercial closure of Atlantic cobia in federal waters. The new process will transfer quota monitoring responsibility from NOAA Fisheries to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. NOAA Fisheries will then be notified when to implement a closure if necessary.
- NOAA Fisheries is implementing these actions in response to a request from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.
When Rule Will Take Effect:
- Regulations will be effective November 8, 2021
Where Can I Find More Information on the Rulemaking?
- Contact NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
By Mail: Frank Helies
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office, Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
- Background documents may be found online at: http://www.asmfc.org/species/cobia/.
This bulletin serves as a Small Entity Compliance Guide, complying with section 212 of the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750