NOAA Fisheries announces the final rule for Regulatory Amendment 33 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region (Regulatory Amendment 33). This final rule allows the South Atlantic red snapper fishing season to be less than four days.
WHEN RULE WILL TAKE EFFECT:
Regulations will be effective November 13, 2020.
SUMMARY OF CHANGES FOR RED SNAPPER:
The final rule removes the minimum season length requirement, and red snapper harvest could be open for either commercial or recreational harvest for three days or less. The removal of this requirement improves access to the red snapper resource.
Please see the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information on these actions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Why is NOAA Fisheries removing the minimum season length requirement for South Atlantic red snapper?
- The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council requested removal of the minimum season length requirement to improve access to red snapper.
How would the action in Regulatory Amendment 33 impact future fishing seasons, including 2020?
- Currently, there is a requirement that if NOAA Fisheries projects the commercial or recreational catch limit will be met in three days or less, the commercial and/or recreational seasons will not open for that fishing year.
- This rule removes the minimal season length requirement, and red snapper harvest could be open for either commercial or recreational harvest for three days or less.
Where can I find more information on Regulatory Amendment 33?
- Regulatory Amendment 33 may be found online at the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office Website at https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/action/regulatory-amendment-33-red-snapper-fishing-seasons.
- By Mail: Frank Helies
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750