NOAA Fisheries is accepting comments on an application for an exempted fishing permit (EFP) from the North Carolina Aquarium. The objective of this project is to incorporate North Carolina native species, including snapper-grouper, corals, and dolphin fish, into the educational exhibits at four aquariums located on Roanoke Island, Pine Knoll Shores, Fort Fisher, and Jeanette’s Pier, North Carolina.
- Sampling would occur year-round along the North Carolina coast from latitude 33○10’ N. up to 36○30’ N, from three miles out to 100 fathoms depth offshore.
- SCUBA, hook-and-line gear, and limited pot/trap gear would be used.
- Collection with black sea bass pots and minnow traps would only occur from May through October.
NOAA Fisheries finds this application warrants further consideration and is seeking public comment on the application. A final decision on issuance of the EFP will depend on NOAA Fisheries' review of public comments received, the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council’s recommendations, consultations with the affected states and the U.S. Coast Guard, as well as a determination that it is consistent with all applicable laws.
HOW TO COMMENT ON THE APPLICATION:
The comment period is open now through June 24, 2019. You may submit comments by electronic submission or by postal mail. Comments sent by any other method (such as e-mail), to any other address or individual, or received after the end of the comment period, may not be considered by NOAA Fisheries.
Application information: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/southeast/north-carolina-aquarium-exempted-fishing-permit-application.
Electronic Submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via the e-Rulemaking portal.
2. Click the "Comment Now!" icon, complete the required fields.
3. Enter or attach your comments.
Mail: Submit written comments to Frank Helies, NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office, 263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750