NOAA Fisheries is requesting nominations for the Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Advisory Panel (AP). Nominations are being sought to fill 10 of the seats on the HMS AP for three-year appointments.
What is the role of the HMS Advisory Panel
NOAA Fisheries consults with and considers the comments and views of the HMS AP when preparing and implementing fishery management plans or amendments for Atlantic tunas, swordfish, billfish, and sharks.
What qualifications are needed to serve on the Advisory Panel?
We look for one or more of the following qualifications when selecting members:
- Experience in HMS recreational fisheries.
- Experience in HMS commercial fisheries.
- Experience in fishery-related industries, such as marinas or bait and tackle shops.
- Experience in the scientific community working with HMS.
- Experience representing a private, non-governmental, regional, national, or international organization representing marine fisheries or environmental, governmental, or academic interests dealing with HMS.
Which sector vacancies need to be filled?
To ensure the HMS AP continues to reflect an appropriate and equitable balance and mix of interests, we are specifically seeking to fill the following sector vacancies:
- Five commercial.
- Three recreational.
- One academic.
- One environmental.
Who can submit nominations?
Individuals with definable interests in recreational and commercial fishing and related industries, environmental community, academia, and non-governmental organizations will be considered for membership on the HMS AP. Nominations are invited from all individuals and constituent groups.